mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Mag on co2?

Well, looks to me like i'm going to be getting my first mag soon, and as much as i know, i'd like to be able to get some opinions (besides "DON'T!!!") on the best way to run one on CO2.

to start, it's a backbottle mag, and i like it like that.

my first thought is to use a female or similar stabilizer mounted in rings under the grip, run that to a gas-thru or x-chamber and then back to the valve...

My second idea is a Sideline Stabilizer (if they really work that well)

the other one i have heard suggested is the idea of running directly into an x-chamber then running 3' of SS braided line to the valve, coiled up to minimize the chance of CO2 getting in the valve.

any other ideas

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to RabidFuzzle Send a message via Yahoo to RabidFuzzle

I would definitely suggest using an anti-siphon tank but even then would either use a Stab or an expansion chamber or even both just for the extra insurance of preventing any liquid from making it to the valve.

Fuzz
RabidFuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Depends a good deal on weather.... once i tested my mag to see what it took to freeze it on C02, and honestly, it was like a hundred shots in a row, lol. of course, I don't live in an area that gets any cold weather or snow, so it varies. I think either an anti-siphon tank or xchamber couldn't hurt though, have you thought about a stabilizer mounted like a foregrip or is that out of the question?
FeedTheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

really want to keep the backbottle, also want some form of foregrip, just not crazy on the idea of a 3' long coil of line

Old 03-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Anti-Siphon tank, and an expansion chamber. You don't need another reg, since the Mag's built in one does a fine job.

Walker

Nelson Owner's Group
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Yes, an anti-siphon tank is all you really need. Also, just to be sure the mag you are getting has a Classic/MiniMag/MicroMag valve right ? If it has an RT or X-Valve, then it won't tolerate CO2. It'll freeze up in about 3 shots.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Z50
Seasoned Member

Lay off the trigger and you will be fine. It is not a setup to defend a castle with but you can defiantly play with a regular tank and an expansion chamber.
Z50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

no, it's definitely a classic type valve, it looks like it has been picked out of a catalouge in the early 90's

PF left body(WR) , 68 valve, single CF trigger frame and dark (green or grey) wood grips..

and to top it all off... a crown point barrel .

i should add, that my local 'shop' didn't even fill anti-siphon tanks till i 'showed' them it was safe... thought the anti-siphon would create an overpressure in the tank then 'boom'

i also don't have access to a shop that could do anti-siphon nor am i comfortable doing it myself. any recommendations on who to send it to?

Last edited by Walking_Target; 03-11-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

It's not really something you can send it away for unless you're going to pick a tank and then send it and the gun away. The antisyphon relies on the bottle fitting the ASA such that the pickup tube is at or very near the top side of the bottle and that all depends on how it screws into the ASA.

Actually you don't really need to send the gun with the tank. Just send the ASA with a bit of tape around the ASA and a mark that says "up" on it and they can set your bottle up for that ASA. Remember that the bottle is then dedicated to that ASA. If it fits another one such that the top of the bottle is within an "hour" of 12 oclock then that's a bonus.

EDIT;
Hey, I see you're in Canada. If you really get stuck for a shop to do it I've done two of my own now and it was actually a piece of cake. SInce I'm here in Burnaby there's no customs to deal with so if you're really stuck you can mail me your ASA and the bottle and I can A-S it for you. It'll cost you the shipping both ways and a lofty $3 on top of the shipping costs for the fitting and bit of tubing I use. I don't know what the mail will charge but it won't be cheap. The local shops charge $15 to $20 to do this. With any luck you can find one more local because I'm sure the shipping will cost more than that.
miracle in some small way.........

Last edited by Railgun; 03-16-2007 at 03:58 AM.
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

All you need to be very reliable on CO2 is an anti-syphon tank and an expansion chamber. I ran a 'Mag for years on a set up like that.

Just take your valve off, or buy another one, and screw it into the ASA and mark which way is up on the valve. You should be able to then send it to a shop and have them install the anti syphon into a tank of your choosing. I know PW Paintball and he would probably do this for you. Just e-mail or call Paul the owner. I'm going there later today to spend more money and I'll ask him about it.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs