mcarterbrown.com

Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

New to Mags

Hello AGD owners

I have never owned a mag but after trying one of my clients mags at the field i fell in love and would like to have one as my primary marker,i use a phantom and DSG and they are the greatest markers to play with but sometimes i feel like a little semi action

so what i basically want to ask is, what should i be looking for in a mag? and what is the best mag to buy? all i know is i like it to look tactical but i also like the deadly wind kits but i dont know where you can find these kits anyway.

so between Emag, RT, ULE to be honest i dont know the difference except maybe emag with is electro im assuming (i dont want electro) so forget that one.

thanks for your help. ill take all the advice i can get i would love to know more about these markers.
TCPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to SN toter

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Welcome to the greatest markers on earth

From Wiki...

Quote:
Variants

68 Automag Classic
Through the many years of its production there have been a few variants of the Automag, such as the "TKO Automag" or the Minimag. The TKO Automag was no different than any other Automag, except it came preconfigured with some non-stock accessories, such as a barrel, vertical ASA, and bottomline adapter.

The Minimag functionally is the same as an Automag. Cosmetically, it has a longer stainless steel powerfeed body with some venting on the front end. In addition, the stock barrel was a bit shorter, and a vertical ASA with a braided stainess steel line from the ASA to the A.I.R. (Advanced Integrated Regulator) valve. The Automag is ruggedly built, the mainbody and A.I.R. valve being manufactured out of stainless steel. The body rail is a black anodized aluminum extrusion and the grip frame manufactured of a carbon composite.

While the original Classic Automag isn't in production anymore, there is a new version called the Pro/Classic, which has an RT barrel, powerfeed, forgrip, black mainbody, vertical asa, and bottomline ASA.

The Automag RT
In 1996, Airgun Designs released the Automag RT (RT standing for Reactive Trigger). This revolutionary design required high pressure air (HPA) to operate; the rapid decompression involved in the valve would quickly cause CO2 to liquefy and freeze the valve's components, thus making the more expensive gas a necessity. This valve uses air pressure to quickly reset the trigger after a shot, thus enabling a faster rate of fire. Shootdown became impossible, as these valves recharged faster than anyone could pull the trigger; in fact, due to their design, they heated up under rapid fire and actually experienced shootup instead. Unfortunately, the original design was fed its gas through the marker's rail, and thus was incompatible as an upgrade to older Automags. This did not fit Airgun Designs' vision of customer support, and it was soon superseded by another design.

The ReTro Valve
The ReTro Valve was a new version of the RT valve, designed to be compatible with older Automags. While initially sold as an upgrade, it soon became the standard for all new high-end Automags, and was used as the basis for the MicroMag, a collaborative project with PTP (Pro Team Products). It was also used as the initial valve for the E-Mag. This valve, unlike the classic valve, was made out of stainless steel with an aluminum back. It was capable of an estimated 26 BPS fire before shootdown.

The X-Valve and the advent of UltraLight Engineering (ULE)
The advent of 700 billet aluminum meant that components no longer had to be made of stainless steel in order to be both strong and light. This aluminum, while more expensive, allowed for a significant weight savings in most components of the marker. The X-Valve is functionally identical to the ReTro Valve, but is made of aluminum instead of stainless steel. This results in an approximately 50% weight savings for no loss in durability or performance. The same concept was applied to the mainbodies, and the result was UltraLight Engineering (ULE). In addition to the weight savings, aluminum could be anodized instead of painted, allowing for more impressive colors and designs. The end result is a much lighter marker than any in the previous generations; indeed, Automags are some of the lightest markers available today. The lighter components also yielded some minor performance increases; the X-Valve has been unofficially tested to perform in excess of 30 BPS with no shootdown.

E-Mag
The E-Mag is an electronic Automag. Like other Automags, it has gone through different versions corresponding to advances to the Automag platform like the ReTro Valve, the Level 10 anti-chop system and the X-valve. Unlike most electronic markers, the E-mag is capable of firing in both electronic and mechanical modes through means of a readily available selector switch. The battery is rated for approximately 10 cases of paint (20,000 shots), This is in stark contrast to other electronic markers of the time(2000-2004) that must be recharged frequently or risk going down in the middle of a game, the trade off is that the E-Mag uses a much larger battery pack, whereas most markers operated off of a normal 9v battery. The E-Mag uses an unusual Hall effect sensor trigger instead of the more common microswitch, and the sensitivity of this magnetic trigger system gives the E-Mag a reputation for having hair trigger. Indeed, there have been many instances where the marker has fired from a slight jar instead of an intentional trigger pull. As a result, the safety is a very reliable actuator interrupt, and the marker is physically incapable of firing with it engaged.

X-Mag
The X-Mag was basically the same marker as the E-Mag electronically, except it also included the ACE(Anti-Chop Eye). The components included the original introduction of the X-Valve, originally engraved with an XMag symbol, and now just an X. It wasn't always called the X-Mag. It originally was called the Emag Extreem which later became X-Mag for short. The body of the X-Mag was a single piece instead of the body-rail combo that all previous AGD mags used. The main feature of the X-Mag, besides the one-piece body, was the removable breeches, which allowed users to change the feed port from center feed to warpfeed left or warpfeed right. There were some rare colors produced just as in every previous run. Magma and Placenta were two of the colors that had runs of 3 or less. The original X-Mag was considered somewhat "blocky-looking," so AGD ran the body through a computer controlled CNC milling machine. The result was a lighter, more attractive marker named the C&C X-Mag.

They really don't differ as much in function as they do in how they feel. Pick a few up, see what you like. I prefer the older, heavy beast that is the original Automag RT, personally.

If you like the tactical look, check out the AGD Tac One. It's got all the goodies like an Xvalve and mechincal anitchop system(Level 10), a centerfeed tactical looking body, and a sweet gripframe. It's a fantastic buy.

Here's my classic RT:

Here's a Tac One:

Last edited by SN toter; 08-19-2010 at 11:31 AM.
SN toter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Craigslist King!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
What you need to know about mags is

The first valve AGD made was the A.I.R valve commonly known as the Classic Valve. Introduced in 1990, this valve has dozens of variations that really only differ in names. While there were many 3rd party upgrades made for the Classic Valve, most, like the "8-hole mod", were more hype than performance boosters. Most of these upgrades are not covered by AGD it's best not to use them. Common variations include:

Automag A.I.R Valve (AGD)
Minimag Valve (AGD)
Micromag Valve (ProTeam Products)
SmartMag Valve (Smart Parts)
ANS Phase II Valve (ANS)
The Smart Parts and ANS valves are no longer made but are still flaoting around in the market.

All these valves have the same internals and run off of CO2 or HPA. They take the same parts kits available from AGD.

The second-generation valve AGD produced was the RT valve. The RT stands for "Reactive Trigger" but unlike the other reactive triggers marketed by companies, the design of the valve itself produces the bounce on the trigger not some separate hardware. This is the high performance valve that is touted as being able to shoot 26 bps without shoot down. Common variations include:
Retro Valve (AGD)
Retro Micromag Valve (ProTeam Products)
RT Valve (AGD) *
RT Pro Valve (AGD)
E-Mag Valve (AGD)
X Valve (AGD)
E-Max Valve (TunaMags)
These valves ONLY run on HPA and should not be run with a a second regulator.

*The original RT valve has a smaller diameter back regulator and a special gas through valve bolt that is only compatible with the the original RT markers.

Almost all parts are interchangable (the RT classic parts are not.)

Mags love oil but are generally maintnance free.

"Classic valve" mags range from $50 to $175. depending on upgrades and what model it is.

"RT Valve" mags can Range from $100 to $1000 depending on upgrades and what model it is.
crzypntbllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzypntbllr View Post

Automag A.I.R Valve (AGD)
Minimag Valve (AGD)
Micromag Valve (ProTeam Products)
SmartMag Valve (Smart Parts)
ANS Phase II Valve (ANS)
The Smart Parts and ANS valves are no longer made but are still flaoting around in the market.
Don't forget the Diamond Labs Hurricane valve too
Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
think there was an Air America one as well...
Riddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
think there was an Air America one as well...
uhhh...sort of. I don't think it was ever used as an automag upgrade but if you take the top half of an old AA Unireg HPA tank, it's identical/interchangeable with the back half of the AIR valve. I know becasue I have one The tanks expired but I took the reg apart for spare automag parts, lol.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

wow thanks alot guys for the very warm and information loaded welcome its getting me all excited ill start my search for the right mag for me asap.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCPaintball View Post
wow thanks alot guys for the very warm and information loaded welcome its getting me all excited ill start my search for the right mag for me asap.
If you are ever in the London, ON area, drop me a line, and I'll let you use my micromag. Personally my favourite mag. Has a very tactical looking body, body and rail are a one piece design, light, accepts cocker threaded barrels, the feedneck is swappable from left hand to right hand.

Here's mine. Only thing different from this now is that I moved the sling and I've added a red dot.

But any mag you go with is a very solid choice. Eventually what will start to happen is that your mags will have babies. One mag will become two, and then you'll get more parts, and then you'll have three and so on.

http://www.usc.uwo.ca/clubs/paintball/index.html

I'll add my Feedback here, because I always forget to ask.
My super awesome feedback of... awesomeness!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

haha thanks alot Ivan thats very cool of you man if you need any paintball gear just let me know i own transformpaintball.com i dont got alot of hook ups with vintage gear but i do sell most things.

I might take you up on that offer tho which field you play at ill bring my boys and we can have a game day.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Here's AGD FAQ that's helpful.

I generally consider the classic stainless markers different from the newer versions. While many (most) of the parts are interchangeable or "upgradeable" and you can make some nice blends of the technology, they really start pretty far apart.

The classic stainless will usually have twistlock barrels, feed elbows, and heavier triggers. If you like some steel in your hands, these are unique.

The newer versions (x-valve) have cocker barrels, clamping feednecks, lighter mechanical triggers (and Reactive Triggers) and light bodies. If you like newer markers but want the fastest and lightest AGD tech, these can keep up. You do pay at least twice the price of a plain classic stainless marker though.

If there's something you don't particularly like about a mag, there's probably a mod to change it. For example, I personally don't like plastic feed elbows, but I like stainless mag bodies; there's a few things to be had for that.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs