mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sly Fox Cyndicate

Send a message via AIM to criticalhammer

Fan of EMR
Higher preasures

Has anyone tried running a mag on HPA without the mag regulator? Does anyone know what will happen? Im assuming that a high HPA output tank would cause it to run hot so you would need a stiffer main spring.
A world is supported by four things: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous, and the valor of the brave. But all of these are as nothing without a ruler who knows the art of ruling. Discourses on Galactic Leadership

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." - Bill Hicks

R.I.P Bill Hicks
criticalhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Marathoner

Don't do it. By your statement about mainsprings, it is clear you will hurt yourself. Don't do it.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Really not sure what you're trying to do, but mags are designed to run on 700+ psi. RT mags (RT Pro, X-Valve, etc) run great on 1000+. http://zakvetter.com/paintball_video...classic_rt.mov Zak puts his classic RT on a scuba tank outputting over 2000 psi.
xero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sly Fox Cyndicate

Send a message via AIM to criticalhammer

Fan of EMR
I should probably refine my question. Wasn't the original reason for a reg was so that the marker would run on c02 in cold weather? With HPA there isn't a need for one right? Why not just remove the reg, save money on production, and have a smaller/lighter marker?
A world is supported by four things: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous, and the valor of the brave. But all of these are as nothing without a ruler who knows the art of ruling. Discourses on Galactic Leadership

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." - Bill Hicks

R.I.P Bill Hicks
criticalhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Not really for running CO2 in cold weather, but running CO2 in general. Although you typically would need to run a really good expansion chamber, anti-syphon tank, an extra long piece of hose with a loop in it (or even all of the above) to keep liquid from getting into the gun. When liquid CO2 would enter the valve, it would freeze the o-rings and render the gun useless until it warmed up.

So, on to the other question about removing the reg, and the answer to your question is: Yes, you can remove the regulator, which on the Mag, is the back 1/2 of the valve. It has been done before, you just put a cap on the back of the valve. As far as the benefits, I see none whatsoever. If you remove the regulator, you will have to use either a high pressure regulator (CP, AKA SideWinder or 2-Liter, etc) or an adjustable tank regulator (Old Max Flo, Armageddon, Flatline, etc). The problem with that is that the weight you are removing by taking off the regulator from the valve, you are negating by using a heavier high pressure regulator (as opposed to a gas-thru or something) or a heavier adjustable tank reg (as compared to a lighter screw in). With an X-Valve (which is all aluminum) the gun is already as light as you're going to get it.

So, for me, I see no benefits to do this mod. The Mag is one of the greatest and most well designed guns that has ever been built. The general design hasn't been changed in nearly 20 years, and I see no need to do so now.
xero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalhammer View Post
I should probably refine my question. Wasn't the original reason for a reg was so that the marker would run on c02 in cold weather? With HPA there isn't a need for one right? Why not just remove the reg, save money on production, and have a smaller/lighter marker?
No. The reason for the reg is so the marker will run. automags use a fixed volume of air to propel the ball. To adjust the velocity, you change the pressure of that volume of air. Without the reg and running co2, you would have zero control of what your velocity is. With HPA, you would have some consistancy because of the tank regulator, but unless the tank reg is adjustable, you wouldn't be able to dial the gun in.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs