mcarterbrown.com

Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
On/Off Leak After Replacement

Hi all,

The issue I'm faced with is an on/off leak in my mechanical ULE with X-Valve.

To begin, I acquired an E-mag off of ebay that the owner stated he had trouble with tuning the Level Ten. No big deal, I had an identical X-valve setup already from my mech mag, put in the emag on/off and pin, and now it shoots great.

With the X-valve that had originally come with it, I placed it into the ULE mag I had left over, using the same stock RT on/off, and I got the Level Ten shooting fine.

The problem is not with the Level Ten, but with a leak in the on/off area. When holding down the trigger I experience a weak but steady leak, no "lawn sprinkler" effect at all. I began with putting a little more oil in, which didn't do anything once it had settled. Next, I replaced both orings in the bottom, as well as the small inner ring that is within the brass assembly, as well as the outer one.

Next, I took my original X-valve out of the Emag, put the RT on/off back in, and there were no leaks. I put the Emag on/off into the leaky valve, and the same leak remained.

To sum up, the leaky X-valve leaks from the on/off area with both a stock RT and E-mag on/off assembly (using the specific pin lengths and quad/urethane orings to each on/off). My other X-valve does not. I don't see any particular damage/debris/scrapes on the leaky one, so I've run out of ideas as to why this one continues to leak. Thoughts?
BrettEAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Marathoner

Is the on/off hole scratched on the side?
Are you POSITIVE the leak is from the on/off and not from anywhere else?
Is the leak there with the trigger at rest?

Use windex or soapy water to help find the exact location of the gremlin.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I'm as sure as I can be, used my Surefire to light it up in there and I cannot see damage, scrapes, burrs, etc.

Upon airing up, holding the trigger, there is no leak of any kind. There is also none when the marker is aired up and at rest. It's only after I take a shot, hold the trigger, that the leak surfaces. Based on the video manual, that's what's leading me to the on/off area. The air can be felt coming through the front of the bolt when leaking, and only after it has been fired and the trigger held.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

X-valve; could that not be a leaking reg pin o-ring?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
X-valve; could that not be a leaking reg pin o-ring?
Nailed it.

Great description Brett. You probably need a new regulator pin assembly. Check the rear-most o-ring on the regulator pin assembly.

Edit: If you save and watch this animation: http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/anim...automag_rt.wmv
you will see that the air has to pass the on/off top to get to the reg pin assembly. By holding the trigger upon gas-up, the air doesn't get to the reg pin assembly, but it does after the on/off pin moves to "on".

Last edited by secretweaponevan; 10-18-2010 at 10:22 PM.
secretweaponevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I went back through the valve and decided to replace all the orings.

I inspected the regulator valve pin assembly, noting no damage. I then replaced the regulator seat, valve pin, and piston orings.

When holding the trigger and gassing it up, the marker now dumps large volumes of air through the barrel, now and again punctuated by a rapid "lawn sprinkler" effect that's faster than in Tom Kaye's videos.

Not sure what I did there. Nothing happens at all when the trigger is left on its own.

Edit - The issue may be related to the regulator seat holder, and reg. seat oring. When I first took things apart, both were seated fairly snug. At present, I can put the valve pin in, then the oring, then the seat. The reg. seat however, won't seat itself in there. It hangs rather loose, and I had assumed screwing everything back together would have put it back. Is there a trick to re-installing these parts?

Last edited by BrettEAS; 10-19-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Make sure Oring 31 is installed
Old 10-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
O-ring #31 is installed. This is what it's doing now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7pwxmoZ4QM
Old 10-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Are you sure you are using the correct oring in position #31? It should snap on to the back of #32 ( reg seat holder). It should not be loose at all. #31 is an actual oring, not to be confused with the split spacer ring that fits between the 2 orings on the reg valve pin assembly
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
Are you sure you are using the correct oring in position #31? It should snap on to the back of #32 ( reg seat holder)
I took out the existing o-ring and compared it to the new one i put in, which are the same. The new oring does snap to the back of the brass retainer.

The problem is getting the oring/retainer to seat properly. Just by eyeballing it now it looks like it's good, but then the issue in the video occurred. Here was my method: snap oring to brass retainer, slip valve pin through the underside of the retainer, and press all into the valve. I'm not sure if this is correct, or if I really have to push that thing in there.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs