mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   Odd rail question.... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/13765-odd-rail-question.html)

Walking_Target 04-02-2007 10:47 AM

Odd rail question....

Hi guys..

i have an odd one for ya.

i recently (as in about 40 minutes ago) recieved a classic 68 Automag from Listessa. it's an Old mag.... i mean old enough that the valve/reg is stamped "68 Automag" not "68 Classic Automag".

the real kicker for me, and one that i'm having a tough time seeing elsewhere, is the fact that the rail isn't drilled/tapped for an ASA. it's a PF left body with a rail that seem to have dovetail sight rails milled into both sides, and mounts a backbottle ASA. valve has matched serials, CF32027.

about how old is this beast? i think it's older than most because of the lack of an ASA hole and the sight rails on the rail.

Thanks for your help

DarkStar 04-02-2007 03:12 PM

I don't think I've ever seen one without the mounting hole for the front grip. However, every classic rail i've had Does have those rails on the side.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. Have you posted over at AO?

-MR

Crash 04-02-2007 05:31 PM

If your talking about the frame rail the sear sits in they might not have been punched out. If you remove the rail and look from the top where the body sits you should see three holes that don't go all the way through. The metal is thin and just tapping it with a punch or something will knock it out and then you can install the rear asa and or vert asa. The holes are not tapped you have to use the short headed allen screws from the top. Iirc they are 8/32 and I have found them in some of the larger hardware stores.

Robertsr 04-02-2007 10:15 PM

Yeah, all the older ones you had to drill out holes for VA or rear ASA. Did a few myself in the day. Kinda fun when the bit binds on the last little chunk, and you turn your body into a propeller. :(

DarkStar 04-02-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robertsr (Post 127590)
Yeah, all the older ones you had to drill out holes for VA or rear ASA. Did a few myself in the day. Kinda fun when the bit binds on the last little chunk, and you turn your body into a propeller. :(

Interesting, learn something new everyday. I've seen plenty with the back mounting holes that needed to be drilled but never the front VA.

-MR

Robertsr 04-03-2007 08:20 AM

Now I could be totally drunk about this one, but I've never put on a rear ASA and I've drilled out at least 3 rails.

So what I'm saying is that I do not know of a specific time at which AGD started drilling. I just know I had to do several a long time ago. (only one propellered thank god!)

titan aresta 04-03-2007 03:12 PM

yeah, that's a stock rail. A few years back when AGD was dumping their blem pump rails, I got one that didn't have any of the holes punctured.
My guess would be that any mag that wasn't a mini or a BB configuration would have a rail with no holes punctured.