mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Odd rail question....

Hi guys..

i have an odd one for ya.

i recently (as in about 40 minutes ago) recieved a classic 68 Automag from Listessa. it's an Old mag.... i mean old enough that the valve/reg is stamped "68 Automag" not "68 Classic Automag".

the real kicker for me, and one that i'm having a tough time seeing elsewhere, is the fact that the rail isn't drilled/tapped for an ASA. it's a PF left body with a rail that seem to have dovetail sight rails milled into both sides, and mounts a backbottle ASA. valve has matched serials, CF32027.

about how old is this beast? i think it's older than most because of the lack of an ASA hole and the sight rails on the rail.

Thanks for your help

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I don't think I've ever seen one without the mounting hole for the front grip. However, every classic rail i've had Does have those rails on the side.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. Have you posted over at AO?

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

If your talking about the frame rail the sear sits in they might not have been punched out. If you remove the rail and look from the top where the body sits you should see three holes that don't go all the way through. The metal is thin and just tapping it with a punch or something will knock it out and then you can install the rear asa and or vert asa. The holes are not tapped you have to use the short headed allen screws from the top. Iirc they are 8/32 and I have found them in some of the larger hardware stores.

My FS Listing
Misc bits-

My feed back:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1021

Carter's Commando Texas Division:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-division.html
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Yeah, all the older ones you had to drill out holes for VA or rear ASA. Did a few myself in the day. Kinda fun when the bit binds on the last little chunk, and you turn your body into a propeller.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsr View Post
Yeah, all the older ones you had to drill out holes for VA or rear ASA. Did a few myself in the day. Kinda fun when the bit binds on the last little chunk, and you turn your body into a propeller.
Interesting, learn something new everyday. I've seen plenty with the back mounting holes that needed to be drilled but never the front VA.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Now I could be totally drunk about this one, but I've never put on a rear ASA and I've drilled out at least 3 rails.

So what I'm saying is that I do not know of a specific time at which AGD started drilling. I just know I had to do several a long time ago. (only one propellered thank god!)

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

yeah, that's a stock rail. A few years back when AGD was dumping their blem pump rails, I got one that didn't have any of the holes punctured.
My guess would be that any mag that wasn't a mini or a BB configuration would have a rail with no holes punctured.
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs