mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Pneumag?

Couple questions on pneumag conversions. Sorry if any of this has been discussed somewhere else. I'm just starting to seriously look into going the pneu route/

For reference, I'm using a ReTro valve with an RT on/off and an Intelliframe. I'd probably go with a Micro Rock LPR with a T-fitting on the valve if that makes any difference.

QUESTION 1:
The three options are the Clippard SMAV-3 or Fabco MSV-1 or MSV-2.
What I've read:

SMAV: Main pro is ease of mounting because it's smaller. Gives an undesirable stiff feel compared to the Fabco parts.

MSV-2: Cyberave uses this in his kits and shots I've seen of his work. It looks like it uses a lever that the trigger would actuate.
MSV-1: same as MSV-2 but the trigger is directly manipulating the switch? Any benefit to this?

Am I mistaken on the SMAV? If not, is the MSV-1 or 2 generally preferred on the Intelliframe?

QUESTION 2:
The connector arm between the MSV and trigger: what are people using for this? I do know Cyberave includes something for it in his kit. Is is freefloating/captured between the MSV and trigger or connected to one of the parts?

QUESTION 3:
Where's the ideal place on the trigger for the switch?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

The choice of 3-way goes a lot toward the location of the actuating rod. You can use anything stiff that doesn't wear too much for a rod. A lot of people used all or part of the original trigger rod, or a piece of nail, piano wire, brass rod, etc.

You have a hard time putting the new rod in the same place as the old one, so you end up drilling a hole for it. It ends up floating in the hole between the msv and the trigger. I think the SMAV would protrude out to the trigger without a rod, iirc.

You would like the trigger rod up near the top for consistency reasons. Putting it in the middle (vertically) of the trigger makes the pull stiffer and makes your top finger push the 3-way directly, while your bottom finger has more leverage. It looks a little better up top, imo.

Being lower helps with trigger return though. Cyberave fixed the weak return of the full lever msv-2 with his magnet kit. It's easiest to mount the three way lower in the frame and use the lever on the msv-2 (or some part of it) to put the rod location where you want it.

I followed the advice of "the electrician" on AO and installed a sear stop in mine. Once I had it set, it has never moved. There are lots of old discussions about them on AO.

Besides pre-travel and over-travel screws in the trigger, I used another set screw to adjust the pre-load of my actuating rod. This let me adjust where the msv would activate in the pull, but I really just set it so that the frame safety would work.

Uh, I think I answered your questions.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool, thanks for the tips.
So, a great setup for the intelliframe would be:

MSV-2 with rod set as close as possible to the top (shorter pull = harder to screw up = more consistant?)

Don't worry about using the MSV to return trigger, rather adjust trigger pull as desired with magnet mod attaching to an MSV-2 lever.

Lightest weight possible trigger rod (make an aluminum tube on my lathe, perhaps...)

Sear Stop (essential in classic, highly recommended in RT style valves?)

Trigger stop set screws

Is there any real advantage to the MSV-1, or is it just an MSV-2 without the lever?
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt View Post
just an MSV-2 without the lever?
That^

I've never heard of anyone complaining about a heavy trigger rod causing problems, but it is something to consider. The load on the rod is very light, so the main thing is that it moves freely. That includes the way it rubs on the back of the trigger and the lever. Friction as well as inertia is a concern.

My argument for a sear stop is that you work on your on/off arrangement down to the last 0.010 inches (or less) and you don't need to give up any of it to over travel. As long as you understand what it does, it won't hurt anything anyway; with a little blue loctite you'll forget it is there.

Last edited by Spider!; 10-24-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs