mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

And, just to be clear, the supercharged V8 is giving me higher ROF, right? Nothing else particularly? Not easier on paint, not particularly more efficient or more reliable? I'm just trying to figure out if paying more for X-Valve is essentially paying for higher ROF. Nothing wrong with that, but not what I need.
randyshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyshipp View Post
And, just to be clear, the supercharged V8 is giving me higher ROF, right? Nothing else particularly? Not easier on paint, not particularly more efficient or more reliable? I'm just trying to figure out if paying more for X-Valve is essentially paying for higher ROF. Nothing wrong with that, but not what I need.
The X-valve should come with a level 10, so don't forget to factor that in (~$50-$65). X-valves are noticeably lighter, maybe four years worth of ego models different.

The neat thing about classics is that many have survived years of rental and/or storage abuse and can be put back on the field with a bolt spring and new o-rings. The amount of sand and grit you can find inside the actual valve (not just the outside) is impressive. X-valves aren't far off, but people find more ways of beating them up (stripped threads, ano wear).
Old 01-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
The X-valve should come with a level 10, so don't forget to factor that in (~$50-$65). X-valves are noticeably lighter, maybe four years worth of ego models different.
And, just to be clear...the Level 10 is something even the diesel 4-cylinder benefits from? In other words, that's not just useful when you're trying to outrace your loader?

Randy...
Old 01-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Yes, the lvl 10 can be used on the classic valve. I don't shoot a mag without a lvl 10, classic or X Valved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I don't shoot a mag without a lvl 10, classic or X Valved.
Me either, except for pump mags.

They're good if you run and shoot at the same time with a gravity loader. They are good if you have an old power feed plug that feeds wimpy. They are good when you hit the end of a force feed loader. They are good when you get an egg shaped ball stuck in your feed neck. They are good when your force feed loader dies.

Last edited by Spider!; 01-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Cool, I'll definitely put that on the list. Is there a visual way to distinguish between a Level 10 and previous versions? If I get a used gun, I'd hate to go buy a new Level 10 kit and find it was already set up with one.

Randy...
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Henchemen Inc!

Send a message via AIM to vf-xx

You can tell, but you have to look @ the bolt. The power tube on a LX bolt has two diameters, and a little vent hole in it.

From the outside the onlly difference I can think of between an LX and a long nose foamie would be that the front of the bolt is slightly rounded. But that's a very subtle difference IMO.

Shortnose or venturi bolts are not LX
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyshipp View Post
Cool, I'll definitely put that on the list. Is there a visual way to distinguish between a Level 10 and previous versions? If I get a used gun, I'd hate to go buy a new Level 10 kit and find it was already set up with one.

Randy...
If it is sitting on the valve, the edge of the bolt rim is easiest. The level 10 has a beveled back edge, where the level 7 is square.

When it's off the valve, the level 10 bolt stem sticks out the back face and has a hole through it, where the level 7 is up inside the bolt and is solid.

All level 10s have a foamy face. Maybe the foamy is missing, but it is made for one. Missing foamies are not tragic; some people don't bother replacing them.

If you get a used level 10, be sure to ask for or plan to order different o-ring carrier sizes. You don't need them often, but you most likely will need them. A couple of Level 10 shims are good to have also.

Last edited by Spider!; 01-03-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Cool, thanks for the tips, guys. We'll see whether I end up with a good one or not. :-) Pretty well decided on Classic Mag, though. (The ICE Epic will have to wait to become Semi #2!)
Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I've seen a couple of Classics w/ lvl 10s go pretty cheap lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs