mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

My not so classic Classic

Did a few mods a little while back and my Classic has a whole new look.

The new frame is an electro Race frame that I got for cheap off Ebay. A bit of milling had to be done to let the Mag's sear and connecting rod fit down in the slot. And of course a hole was drilled for the barrel pin to fit into up near the front screw.

A small hole and countersink was drilled into the back of the trigger to accept the connecting rod. Things worked out such that I was able to drill to a depth that allowed me to use the stock rod length setting. Sometimes you win the little things at least...

At first I tried to outsmart AGD and drilled the socket hole for the rod slighty further down the trigger by about 3/16. The thinking was that it would reduce the trigger travel and amplify the return pulse action from the valve. It definetly reduced the throw needed and amplified the kick forward effect but it made the firing effort increase far too much for my tastes. So I made up a little plug of aluminium with an interferance fit and tapped it into the hole so I could drill another one at the stock distance from the hinge pin.

The second big change was to make up a custom drop adapter. I'm finding that the 'mag is pretty short and I like to get the barrel up where I can put the back block at my nose and sight down the two sides of the barrel. But I kept having to place the butt of the bottle on the upper part of my shoulder. Also I found that my wrist was constantly hitting the fill nipple or guage and that the fatness of the bottle was just plain getting in the way. So I killed three birds with one paintball and the special drop is the result. It's pretty rough right now because I didn't know how well it would work out and it was make up the night before a game day. Future plans call for some dressing up. But the good news is that it has worked out well beyond my expectations. I'm extremely happy with it on all counts.

Finally there's that odd macro line run. Once it was together and the drop and on-off in place the routing like this just sort of became obvious. The thin forward portion of the Race frame makes this method possible. I had to dremel and file grooves in the race fame at the top and bottom to let the line lay in better and it required matching half rounds to be cut from the grip. But again all in all I'm very happy with the outcome.

Next is some sort of foregrip. My left hand just doesn't seem to know what to do. I'm thinking of either a vertical grip or perhaps a rifle like or pump like horizontal "stock" to hold onto for some support.

I'm also considering some sort of clamp on setup for a ghost ring sight. Or perhaps I'll side mount it on those dovetails built into the rail.

clicky to make biggy

miracle in some small way.........

Last edited by Railgun; 05-22-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Club
Interesting!

I'd love to see more on how you routed the air line.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like the trigger. Pretty cool.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks guys. And I forgot to get those pics for you Robert. I should be able to do that tonight.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Nice job on that trigger frame!
russc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

AHHHH!!!!!! Makes me want a Mag even more!! I love how you routed the hose...Looks slick! very clean! I love it...
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

holy crap! does the valve keep up? i thought agd said classic valves cycle less then 10 bps while a RT can cycle 25ish?
FeedTheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Don't panic Feed'. It's not electro, just a race frame mod'ed into a mechanical trigger. It still only shoots as fast as my finger.

Finally got some pics of the macro line routing. You can now see for certain that it's not an electro... Note that a couple of rounded notches were filed and dremeled to let the line lay a little smoother. Similar notches were filed out of the Dye sticky grips so that they would lay down over the line where it transitions through the grips. As you can see the front metal of the frame is fairly narrow which is what gave me the idea in the first place.

There was some metal in the way of the sear and pushrod and that was cut away on my mill. But handtools and a Dremel could have done the job as well. It's all inside so no one would notice.

Next is to dress up the custom drop a bit so it fits in with the theme. As you see it here it was a rush job done the night before I took it out for a day of playing.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2007, 03:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

ahhh now i get it. cool.
FeedTheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs