mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Ok, now I'm totally stumped

Guys, help me out here. There has to be something I'm missing...

Here's the setup. Bought a piece of crap micromag with a classic valve off ebay and sent it right out for polishing and powder coat. When I assembled it back after finishing, the valve it came with simply vented down the barrel constantly. It would shut up if you pulled the trigger, but vented constantly otherwise.

I replaced all the o-rings in the valve and the problem did not go away.

I put a larger spacer in the power tube, and the problem did not go away.

Then it starts to get weird.

I tried a working valve from another classic, and it woud not fire. There was clearly pressure on the trigger rod, but it never "clicked" like the valve cocked.

I tried a working valve from an RT pro. Exact same results. The only valve that does anything is the original, and it doesn't work right.

So I got to thinking... maybe the whole polishing and powder coating process screwed something up. I disassembled the marker, and it was taped off properly, with no stray powder coat in the valve tube.

Hmmm... Maybe something with the sear. Swapped in a new sear. No joy. Checked the trigger rod clearance with gas on, and it's the proper credit card thickness from the back of the trigger.

I even assembled the marker without the grip frame and worked the sear myself. No joy.

I've checked the bolt clearance, and it goes forward like it should into the firing chamber.

The steel ring in the body is intact, and snugly in place.

I don't know what in the hell is left. If I don't figure this out, I have a $400.00 paperweight on my hands.

Any suggestions?

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

how is the spring? did ya try a new/newer spring yet?
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Kilt Fan
Tried it with the entire valve assemblies from working mags, springs and all.

FEEDBACK
Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
lukescustoms.com

Sounds like the bolt is not cocked and held by the sear. Low pressure from the reg can cause this or perhaps the bolt and or sear is worn out. Air it up and put a wood dowel down the barrel and push on the face of the bolt.
luke-AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Kilt Fan
Brand new sear.

Valve, bolt and spring pulled from a working mag, and put into this body whereupon they no longer work.

Clearly there is something goofy with the body. I just for the life of me don't know where to look.

FEEDBACK
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

oh my bad i didnt see that in the description...man thats a bummer when that happens...hey does the original valve work in other markers? or did tou try a power tube spring instead of a power tube spacer? that worked once on a marker that was acting like yours?
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
lukescustoms.com

It still may not be cocked, I still suggest you try and air it up and push on the face of the bolt to see what happens. I encounter this often with all my mags.
luke-AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Did the surface the valve rests on get coated as well? Perhaps the bolt/sear relationship was affected by the powdercoat. Couldn't that cause it to act like the sear was worn out?

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
NYOG President

I think I just had something like that and it was one of those things where I had to put that valve it tighten the thumb screw just enough so it would hold then gas it up and wiggle and jiggle till it was in just the right spot then tighten it down... but it is late and I'm off to bed so I could have invented that hole scenario in my head
M98punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Rob. You have to go to a smaller PT spacer if it's leaking. You can simply grind the spacer down with a file, make it as even as possible and place the smooth (unworked) side towards the bolt/oring

Did you try adj the velocity in the other valves you installed? They might just need a bump, not every bodies the same.

And if all else fails. Install the valve with the bottom of the thumb screw barely touching the frame. Air it up and get out the old allen key. Start tightening it up a little at a time till you hear it click. The click is the on/off reseting. Go as far as you feel comfortable. DO NOT SNAP THE THUMB SCREW!!!

I have 2 mags that require me to do that.

Last edited by Ando; 06-03-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Ando is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs