mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   PTP Emag won't fire (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/174011-ptp-emag-wont-fire.html)

CyberKhan 08-27-2011 01:26 AM

PTP Emag won't fire

I posted this in AO forums, but also posting it here in case I can catch some other people.

Ok, so I bought two identical PTP Emags from different people. One of them fires great and the other one will not fire at all. I have exhausted my knowledge of these mags and cannot figure out what the problem could be, so I am asking if anyone could help me before I ship this thing off to someone to have it looked at. Here is what I have done so far....

The one that works is an all silver PTP emag with an Emag 2000 valve. This one is silver and works great in either mechanical or electro mode.
The other one is all red with a new Red Xvalve. Both mags have identical bodies, the PTP 2000 bodies.

The red one will not fire when I gas up the marker either mech or electric. The trigger and sear air up and there is pressure against them when i pull the trigger, but it will not fire off.

I have done several things to try and diagnose the problem including the following.
Changed springs, carriers, shims, no shims, etc. in the bolt. - No change
Took the emag 2000 valve from the silver marker - Red marker will not fire.
Put the Red Xvalve into the silver body - valve fires beautifully in all modes.
Put a new 2009 body on the Red Emag lowers - red xvalve fires beautifully in all modes.

So bottom line is that there is something about the red body itself that is causing the marker not to fire. The sear assembly looks brand new with little to no wear at all. It rotates smoothly and does not hang up anywhere that I can see. What is even more weird is that I thought at first it was a bolt stick issue from having too small of a carrier. So I put a carrier 2 sizes bigger in the xvalve to eliminate that problem. Now if I put the red xvalve (with the larger carrier) in the silver body, it leaks down the barrel when aired up, but still fires. If I take the vavle out and put it in the red body, no air comes out at all when gassed up. So not only will it not fire, but air is not even making it past the on/off assembly to be able to leak out the bolt.

When gassed up, the trigger is very stiff. It has pressure, but no amount of squeezing or moving the sear will cause the marker to fire. So something about the body is causing the air not to make it past the on/off assembly. I don't think its the on/off pin as its a stock pin from a new Xvalve. Also none of the other 2 valves I have will fire in this red body, they all act the same.

So.... Any ideas what the problem could be and where I should start looking next? I don't know what else to do and stupid PTP won't answer their damn phones. Thanks! :confused:

Ando 08-27-2011 02:37 AM

Pull your battery from your silver one and install it in the red one. See if it fires. If it does then you know your battery either need to be charged or it's craped the bed. If it does fire you probably just need to adj your sear arm out to get it to fire in manual. There are some set screws by the sector switch you can mess with to adj the throw on the trigger.

CyberKhan 08-27-2011 02:45 AM

ok I will try that tomorrow. I had JUST charged the red battery, but it could be weak or crapped out.

I should just be able to turn the sear arm out to extend it right? trouble is there is only a credit card thickness between the sear arm and the trigger now, which is what is supposed to be. My silver one travels only half the distance of the red one before it fires in mech mode.

also, if I put my 2K9 body on the red lowers, it fires fine. which means i know the battery at least works and the sear arm length should be fine. It just won't fire with the red body on the red lowers.
I will also swap the silver body on the red lowers and try that too. Thanks.

Ando 08-27-2011 03:02 AM

Didn't those bodies have shims that were placed between the lowers and body itself? I can't remember, never was a big fan of the PTP stuff. Really not a fan of it now :rolleyes:

wins mag 08-27-2011 10:51 PM

Yes they have a spacer between the body and lowers. It sounds like you have the same problem I did, read the thread "micro emag help" I fixed mine by grinding the on/off pin down. By the way do you have a rail bushing where the rear thumb screw is? If you give up and want to sell it cheap let me know.

CyberKhan 08-27-2011 11:15 PM

I don't have a rail bushings in either of the two PTP emags that I bout. The thumb screw fits pretty tight in there. Is there somewhere I could get a bushings? I can't get anyone at ptp to ever call me back.

wins mag 08-27-2011 11:43 PM

I'm not sure they ever had rail bushings my body does not have a hole big enough for one. Try grinding your pin just a little they can be bought new for like $8 from tunamart or agd. My pin is just over .700" the stock emag pin is .712" I bet that will fix your problems. Or sell it to me I'll give you $100 lol.

wins mag 08-27-2011 11:53 PM

Didn't you just get this thing off mcb and wasn't it supposed to work?

CyberKhan 08-28-2011 01:35 AM

I just paid $600 for this thing and yes the seller guaranteed me it worked, fired and cycled and didn't leak. So sorry, I am not selling it for $100. :)

I will get it to work or else I will return it and get a different Emag from him. He deals in guns so he didn't do it on purpose, just didn't check it as thoroughly as needed.

pk5 08-28-2011 01:42 AM

what if you try to trigger the valve manually? I.e. poke at the on/off pin or force the sear to push against it with a small screw driver?