mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

E-mag Questions

I have decided to start using my E-mag again. I have had it set for some time without really using it and I have some questions someone else might be able to answer....
here is the current specs:

E-mag #EM0014x unknown age, but an early one.
PF HL polished stainless body
AGD 1.31 software (16bps cap, has burst modes)
12" Stainless Smart Parts barrel (not sure which)

1. My battery is only holding a charge from maybe 1000 shots it is the orginal battery, but I really don't want to have to buy a new one. I remember a while back Pro team Products releaseing a battery pack that used 2 9vs, Is there a voltage regulator that is needed or can I put 18v into my mag board?

2.How old is my mag? Some things about it don't look the same as other E-mags I have seen.

3.Should I update my software? I do kinda like the burst modes, someone told me that I can now update without losing my modes, if so is it worth it?
sdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Walrus

Let me see if I can help:

1. My battery is only holding a charge from maybe 1000 shots it is the orginal battery, but I really don't want to have to buy a new one. I remember a while back Pro team Products releaseing a battery pack that used 2 9vs, Is there a voltage regulator that is needed or can I put 18v into my mag board?

A.) I believe the PTP battery pack was for the Warp Feed, not the E-Mag (although I could be wrong). As far as your existing battery, there has been talk that you can take your old battery with the charger down to a battery supply store like Batteries Plus and they can build you a new battery using your old one and they can match it to the specs from the charger.

2.How old is my mag? Some things about it don't look the same as other E-mags I have seen.

A.) Since your E-Mag seems to be all original including the valve, then it would seems to be one of the early ones. There were two versions of the early E-Mag valves. the earliest ones have a single oring on top of the on/off and all others have two (a black quad oring with another oring). It is always hard to tell the age of a Mag by the SN on the valve because valves can be swapped. However AGD was pretty good about releasing the SN in order so it again appears to be a fairly early one. I recall about the year 2000 is when E-Mags made their appearance, so probably 2000-2001 would be an approximate year yours was born. As far as why it is different, I don't know without a pic. The first E-Mags had twistlock stainless steel bodies, removable sight rail, and a non-ule grip (hump on back of grip, etc).

3.Should I update my software? I do kinda like the burst modes, someone told me that I can now update without losing my modes, if so is it worth it?

A.) This will be personal preference. Most fields have a 15 BPS cap and don't allow all the different modes, they just allow semi. In order to upgrade to a software with the same modes you would have to upgrade to XMod instead of AGD 3.2. AGD 3.2 only offers semi mode, but XMod offers all the modes supported by todays tournament organizations plus a few other extras. It is good software, but you will either have to send it to the developer to get it flashed for around $40 plus shipping both ways, or by the programmer off of eBay for over $100 which will allow you to program the gun yourself.

My Gallery

History: Line SI Bushmaster; PMI-3; VMX; '97 Autococker; KP-3; Enforcer 2(possible SWARM); Spyder Sonix; Monteneel Z-1; PGP 2K; BBT Typhoon; 2k1 SP Impulse; SP MiniMag; another PMI-3; VM-Magnum; Blazer #153; Pump MiniMag; Thrasher ULE Emag; Cool Camo Micromag; '94-'95(?) Evolution Minicocker; '95 Evolution Autococker; Blazer #710; CNC X-Mag; Gold Rush Micromag; Jungle Sunset Micromag; Wild Tiger Micromag
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply....

I found that yes, you can indeed use 2 9volts instead. Apperently it wasn't Pro-team that said it, it was WARPIG.COM WARPIG - World And Regional Paintball Information Guide

Looked it up in the manual and it said 18v is fine, I really don't want another rechargable battery anyway.

Yes, it is the humpback style of frame, and did come with a site rail. The body would not fit the classic valves on/off without some dremeling it was less than .1" that needed to be removed but, still I found puzzling. Furthermore, the body nor rail will fit my classic mag, One has a round threaded part that connects to the body the other has a square part in the same spot.

These incompatibilites made me wonder what was going on, that is all. The X-mod stuff seems interesting, I might get it but, I guess I won't get newer AGD software since it is still all semi (my primary field allows any firing mode at any bps, and since it is all forts and woods and alot of attack defend, it isn't really that unsafe).

I do like my classic mag alot in the woods, it would be nice to have my Angels firepower and modes in an unbreakable stainless package though. I think I will proceed with my E-mag restoration, and hopefully never let it sit for years again.
sdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
You can use anything that provides 18V. However you may find that you don't get enough shots out of a 2*9V arrangement. The solenoid that powers the E-Mag is quite Beefy and will quickly beat down those batteries.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs