mcarterbrown.com

Old 07-30-2006, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
lvl6 mags . . . who can tell me about them?

so a cheap mag I came across some time ago turns out to be a lvl6, as far as I can tell to the best of my googling abilities.

here are some pics of the valve . . . it uses a spring instead of a spacer in the power tube, and the regulator body has a weird notch cut in it

are the differences between it and the more common lvl7's all that much performance wise?
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Interesting. Are you sure with that identification?

I have thinket that lvl 6 was not mass produced automag with small air chamber. (look here: http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=43)

But if goes on the spring instead of a spacer in the power tube, and the regulator body what has a weird notch cut, it seems so, that I have the same gun.

I have bought them as old MiniMag with some cheap home-made upgrades and aftermarket parts. The former user was speedball player here in Czech Republic. After some cleaning and seal replacement, he works very well and is in overal good condition.

There is original picture from the seller:
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lazy Longballer

Send a message via AIM to Niterocker

I don't know anything about the notch in the regulator, but I do know that early Level 7s used a spring in the power tube, so that would be my guess.

-Keith
(hajkowski@aol.com)
Niterocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

level5 (or 5.5) never made it to market. The level6 can be identified by the slot/notch cut across the regulator body, smaller air chamber, and the front body power tube assembly being threaded in. there was also a odd on/off top that didn't flow well. the level7 improvements were replacing the slot with just a hole, enlarging the air chamber, changing the on/off top, and soldering the power tube in place. the problem with the notch on the level6 was a lack of flow from the reg into the on/off, resulting in dropoff after just a couple of shots. coupled with the smaller chamber, this meant running it at higher than normal pressure, which made for a tougher trigger pull, faster accelerating bolt (chop, chop, chop), etc. the other bad part of it was that the seal between the reg halves would slightly twist when the halves were put together, and the slot would rough the seal up. you tended to get a lot of reg creep resulting in wildly inconsistent velocity. they went to a harder seal in the level 7 anyway, so it might have been fixed. springs were used in the level6 and 7 in the powertube for at least a couple of years.

looking at your gun, it appears that it might have had the level 7 upgrade from AGD which involved drilling the reg hole, boring out the air chamber slightly, and possibly soldering the powertube on. the second hole in the notch appears to maybe have been someones attempt to do a home-made upgrade. hard to say.

--Joel
joelrf600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Look at the on/off diagram. It looks a lot like a standard poppet valve. The newer ones use a 3 or 4 piece on/off with a tapered stem.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Steve

Fan of EMR
That's not an On/Off Diagram... that has always been located on the dump chamber end of a Mag Valve. It is simply showing you the arrangement of the A.I.R. Valve Internals (regulator half).
Old 08-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gun Hoarder

Send a message via AIM to pwpaintball

AGD scans

I don’t know if anyone is interested but I bought my Automag in August of 91 and it was a level 6. Then in February of 95 I sent it back to AGD to get upgraded to a level 7. I have 3 PDF’s of the letters I got from AGD. #1 is “What’s New in Level 6” #2 is “News from the backroom” and the repair ticket from the level 7 upgrade and #3 is a letter they sent me in September of 92 and “Important Information About Your Warranty” dated 98.
If any one wants one or these entire let me know and I will send them to you. Also if someone would like to put these up on the web that would be cool.
Off subject but I also scanned in a NSG Inc. 89 catalog (Both front and back cover came out bad but the rest is good) if someone wants that also.
Paul
My Sale

My Feedback
pwpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpaintball
I don’t know if anyone is interested but I bought my Automag in August of 91 and it was a level 6. Then in February of 95 I sent it back to AGD to get upgraded to a level 7. I have 3 PDF’s of the letters I got from AGD. #1 is “What’s New in Level 6” #2 is “News from the backroom” and the repair ticket from the level 7 upgrade and #3 is a letter they sent me in September of 92 and “Important Information About Your Warranty” dated 98.
If any one wants one or these entire let me know and I will send them to you. Also if someone would like to put these up on the web that would be cool.
Off subject but I also scanned in a NSG Inc. 89 catalog (Both front and back cover came out bad but the rest is good) if someone wants that also.
Paul
Definately, Post them as attachments to this thread and then they can make their way into VR or elsewhere as needed.

-MR
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

that is a very old mag, i would sat it was a lv3 (with that slot)

whats the sn number?

Ian
frflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gun Hoarder

Send a message via AIM to pwpaintball

The files are to big to attach. 175kb max. and they are bigger than that. Someone on AO hosted them here. http://www.southwestvoodoo.com/toast...id=2&tid=20709
Sorry it took so long for me to update.
My Sale

My Feedback
pwpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs