mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

The Mag Noob and the Mystery of the RPG Frame

Alright you meddling Hardy Boys (and Mag experts):

I have a "new" Mag: I bought it four years ago from AGD, but haven't used it in that time (sad, I know). Just aired it up today with the intelliframe on it and it worked like a dream. It had been chuffing some, but with some oil in the ASA, problem solved.

Same exact set up, but I swapped the intelliframe for an RPG Triton frame. And with the Triton frame on, it chuffed, coughed, leaked down the barrel and had trouble resetting.

Here are the specs of all the stuff I used on the gun:
X-valve
warp left feed ULE body
proteam warp feed adapter
Q-loader
ULT trigger
14" Deadlywind barrel, steel insert
AM/MM Rail
Adjustable NitroDuck tank reg with the 1000psi piston in it
Deadly Wind on/off ASA

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
how about loosen the frame that hold the screw onto the body a little bit?
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Finally back from Iraq and freezing my butt off in Wisconsin

yup. my bet is that the rear frame screw is too tight.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
A Pirate's Life for Me

CCM Fan
Chances are you over-tightened the quick strip screw that holds the valve in. Should be finger tight at most, don't torque it down. Otherwise things won't line up right and you'll get bolt stick.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

yeah, I loosened the rear thumb screw, but I'll try adjusting it a bit more tomorrow. I also noticed that the radius of the RPG frame right where the rear screw hits seems slightly different than on the intelliframe. Hopefully getting the correct tension on the screw will solve the problem. thanks guys
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

pics? different how?
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

I was only judging by eye, and I know RPG products are supposed to be to AGD spec, but the frame screw didn't sit as flat or as snug against the RPG frame. The radius on the RPG frame seemed more "rounded" than the ADG frame. It could just have been in my head.

I doubt the difference will be detectable in pictures at all, as it was hard to see, even in person (especially hard to see in pics if it was all in my head). But I will post up some pics of the whole gun for your viewing pleasure tomorrow.

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
You may need to adjust your trigger rod. If you're not getting a full engagement of the on/off it could cause that kind of problem.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

CCM Fan
did you make sure not to lose the rail bushing when swapping frames? that will cause all sorts of weird problems if it's missing.

I'd advise NOT messing with the trigger rod on the sear. If it was out of spec, you would have had problems with the intelliframe too.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
I'd advise NOT messing with the trigger rod on the sear. If it was out of spec, you would have had problems with the intelliframe too.
Sometimes other frames and their triggers have shorter or longer trigger throws. You just need to look for the 1/32" to 1/16" gap behind the trigger when the marker is aired up. Let the trigger fall forward or push it lightly forward and look for the gap. No gap would be similar to the problem you describe.

The rail bushing is always worth checking, at least you'll know you haven't lost it. They're mean because the marker can work at first, then go crazy.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs