mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Automag bolt question

I recently got a MicroMag body that I have put a Classic valve and grip frame on. After having fired a couple of hundred rounds through it, I noticed on the ANS Level 7 concave bolt that I have seems to have been chewed up a little on the bolt edge where it contacts the sear. I don't think it looked like that before. I double-checked the grip frame to be sure everything is snug and it is. I know the ANS bolt isn't as high quality as the stock bolt but I don't think I should have any observable wear after a hopper of paint.

I did note that when I put the ANS bolt on the power tube, I can wiggle the bolt ever so slightly and feel some very, very minor movement.

Any thoughts? Crappy bolt? Worn power tube? Some type of issue specific to MicroMags using classic Level 7 bolts?

Thanks in advance.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
I don't have much experience with the ANS bolts. I have always replaced them with a stock long-nose bolt as soon as I received them. But I feel the same as you, if it's showing wear this early then replacing it would be very smart.

Have you checked the length of your sear pin with calipers? The sear chew up a bolt if it's pin isn't the correct length.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
I don't have much experience with the ANS bolts. I have always replaced them with a stock long-nose bolt as soon as I received them. But I feel the same as you, if it's showing wear this early then replacing it would be very smart.

Have you checked the length of your sear pin with calipers? The sear chew up a bolt if it's pin isn't the correct length.
The sear pin is a PTP exclusive threaded pin. I assume it is the correct size but don't have the specified measurement to compare mine too.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
JKR

Had a friend more knowledgeable than I on Automags suggest that I lightly file the edges of the sear. It could be the change in the angle from the previous body compared to the MicroMag body that currently houses these Level 7 parts.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

best bet would be swap tha bolt shoot a hopper thru it and see if there is any wear on the bolt...then you know for yourself if it was the bolt or not!?!
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
best bet would be swap tha bolt shoot a hopper thru it and see if there is any wear on the bolt...then you know for yourself if it was the bolt or not!?!
I have but one extra AGD long nose at the moment. I don't want to sacrifice it for the test! It was shooting fine in the Classic body...has to be the change to the MicroMag body.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
The sear pin is a PTP exclusive threaded pin. I assume it is the correct size but don't have the specified measurement to compare mine too.
I actually meant the length of the rod that is attached to the end of the sear, not the pin that holds the sear in the body. It's the part that actually touches the trigger. If that rod is set to the correct length it can cause all sorts of problems, bolt wear being one of them. I believe the correct length is listed in the Automag/Minimag manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
Had a friend more knowledgeable than I on Automags suggest that I lightly file the edges of the sear. It could be the change in the angle from the previous body compared to the MicroMag body that currently houses these Level 7 parts.
I would stay away from this for the time being. Taking a file to a sear can cause more problems than it's worth. I'd check the length of the trigger rod before doing anything permanent.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Ck your sear in both the micromag and the classic you pulled the bolt out of. A chipped sear will screw up your bolt and viceversa. Throw that thing out, It's done for.

As for the proper length of the sear arm. As long as you have a 1/16 inch gap behind the trigger when aired up. It's set right.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
JKR

Adjusted the trigger rod yesterday and got it perfect. I will check and see if this ANS bolt issue continues. My gut tells me that since this bolt was new to this body, that the angle of the sear and bolt is a little different and resulted in this wear. I will continue to check it out. I don't care too much to sacrifice this old ANS bolt to get things right.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

The sear is hardened, so if you file it, you'll weaken it. Assuming it isn't already worn down, but if it looks straight and newish, should be good.

Ive had a few ANS's before, rarely kept them for long, and some did have very chewed up lips.
Angel - The Supermodel we kinda want, but not really
Tippman - She's butch
Automag - The cute girl in yer molecular biology class
BiNumber3 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs