mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Resurgence

Xvalve and Micromag - I'm in hell, please help

Alright, so my ultimate goal was to build an awesome mag. However, I was unaware it was going to be so a giant pain in the ***. Nothing I have done thus far has been simple, and my frustration is building.

Most recently I've purchased an Xvalve to go on to my micro chirmera project. I get it in today, and it's basically a paperweight at this point.

While the valve seems to be in perfect working order, it's not working with my set up. The first problem is that the on/off assembly was catching on the micromag body. Thus not allowing the valve to actually fully seat into the body. I removed the on/off and one shim and was able to get the valve to sit fully flush. At that point however, I gas up the marker and almost none of the sear is visible in the grip frame. So basically when I pull the trigger, I'm not pushing the sear far enough to cycle the marker.

I once again took out the on/off and removed all five shims, but it made no difference. Still having the same issue.

I noticed the sear has a threaded end, can this be adjusted at all?

Any help would be great. I feel like I've bought all the high end parts I can find, but in the end it's been nothing but a head ache

Video link to the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbQ5kUQt6NQ

Last edited by docholiday; 04-13-2012 at 08:48 PM.
docholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

yeah it can be adjusted...as a last resort! there needs to be a gap the size of a credit card between the sear pin and the trigger when your Mag is aired up! have you watched any of the Tom Kaye Mag videos it explains all about how the Mag functions, the trouble shooting and all that kind of stuff to help prevent head aches

how much of a gap was there when aired up when you had a different valve on your MicroMag? will ya post pics of both valves aired up...that can help???

Last edited by need4reebs; 04-13-2012 at 06:41 PM.
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

You're talking about the trigger rod (rod connected to the sear), right? The answer is yes, this can be adjusted. Just unscrew the rod until it is about the thickness of a credit card away from the back of the trigger when the gun is gassed up. I usually gas the gun up and use needle nose pliers to adjust it to get it where it needs to be, just be careful to not scratch the frame.
xero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Un Tico

^^^ this with the pliers, I just did the same on a classic rt.
C_losjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resurgence

Alright, if got the pin well adjusted to the credit card length when gased up, but I'm still experiencing the same problem, I pull the trigger and the sear moves a small bit bit nothing happens. It looks like I have a ULT kit, is this a commonality from that? I'll make a video as soon as my camera charges.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The ULT sometimes takes some fiddling to get it to work right. Do you have a standard on/off? Some of the MicroMag bodies were not to the perfect tolerances as required by AGD. I've had only one MicroMag, and when I put in a ReTro Valve with the RT on/off, it would do pretty much the same thing that your's is doing. The sear pin was adjusted correctly, and I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen, the trigger would just feel "mushy". Basically, what was happening was that the on/off pin was too long and it wouldn't open the valve completely. I ground off a TINY bit (maybe 1/100th or two of an inch) off of the pin and it worked fine. If you have access to one, try the valve and on/off in a standard Mag and see if it's having the same issues.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resurgence

Quote:
Originally Posted by xero28 View Post
The ULT sometimes takes some fiddling to get it to work right. Do you have a standard on/off? Some of the MicroMag bodies were not to the perfect tolerances as required by AGD. I've had only one MicroMag, and when I put in a ReTro Valve with the RT on/off, it would do pretty much the same thing that your's is doing. The sear pin was adjusted correctly, and I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen, the trigger would just feel "mushy". Basically, what was happening was that the on/off pin was too long and it wouldn't open the valve completely. I ground off a TINY bit (maybe 1/100th or two of an inch) off of the pin and it worked fine. If you have access to one, try the valve and on/off in a standard Mag and see if it's having the same issues.
This sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. I don't have another mag to drop this into unfortunately. Here is a video if it may help any. Could you give me a little more information in regards to shaving the pin if necessary? I'm assuming your talking about the part that contacts the valve and not the part that contacts the sear, right?

Edit: Couldn't get the video to embed. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbQ5kUQt6NQ
Old 04-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

As the pin goes, it's been a while since I had a ULT. Check out this thread on AO Automags.Org Online Forums - BlackVCG's ULT Thread. I checked up in there and ADDING shims will essentially make the pin shorter. So since you removed the shims, you've mad the pin longer. Try adding as many shims as possible with it still fitting in the gun. After that, I'm not sure what to tell you. Also, from the video, it looks like you still have a little bit of room to unscrew the trigger pin a bit.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

yes adding more ULT shims will make the pin shorter...but to many shims and it either wont fit in your micromag or you will get a runaway trigger...most i have had in my ULT's is 5 and i can walk the trigger as well as a nice RT effect! if the valve will fit with the ULT using 5 shims you should be fine...also try adjust the velocity and/or the thumb screw
Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

also when pulling your valve out pull the trigger to push the on/off pin back and press the valve down while your unscrewing the thumb screw...you dont want to break or bend the on/off pin!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs