mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
One shot one kill

Looking to get into mags! Help?

Hey guys im wondering what are the benifits of a mag? im looking for a good mech marker that will last and be.. different from everyone. i have seen a few mags and read about them and they seem awesome.

so heres a few questions.

1. are they difficult to maintain?
2. how upgradable?
3. what model can i find on the bst for like 100-150?
4.how awesome are they ;D
Voidz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

1. They are very easy to maintain. Drop a few drops of oil (Gold Cup is good) into the asa. take off your barrel and dry fire like 20 times and you are done.

2. You can upgrade them in any way imagineable. All mag parts can be swapped from mag to mag except for the classic rt's. Just look through the agd picture thread and you should get an idea for them.
3. You can find a good ol' classic mag in the bst for that much, if your lucky, even less. That will serve you great and be more reliable than a tippmann.

4. I love mags, all mags, doesn't matter. But, beware, once you get a mag, you will keep wanting to upgrade and get more. The good thing about mags is that a little upgrade will improve performance by a good amount. I would get that classic mag I mentioned, get an x-valve, then ule body. Then you already got a rockin machine.

Oh yeah, did I mention that an x-valve'd mag with an shp tank (1100 output pressure) can rt at about 20+ bps? And it will never chop? But we'll get to that once you start out.
DCx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCx7 View Post
But, beware, once you get a mag, you will keep wanting to upgrade and get more.
The parts keep floating to the top of the box, like creepy dolls, saying "what about me?"

Even the oldest classic parts can be turned into a wall-hanger or your favorite mud-gun.

Why buy a mag?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
One shot one kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCx7 View Post
1. They are very easy to maintain. Drop a few drops of oil (Gold Cup is good) into the asa. take off your barrel and dry fire like 20 times and you are done.

2. You can upgrade them in any way imagineable. All mag parts can be swapped from mag to mag except for the classic rt's. Just look through the agd picture thread and you should get an idea for them.
3. You can find a good ol' classic mag in the bst for that much, if your lucky, even less. That will serve you great and be more reliable than a tippmann.

4. I love mags, all mags, doesn't matter. But, beware, once you get a mag, you will keep wanting to upgrade and get more. The good thing about mags is that a little upgrade will improve performance by a good amount. I would get that classic mag I mentioned, get an x-valve, then ule body. Then you already got a rockin machine.

Oh yeah, did I mention that an x-valve'd mag with an shp tank (1100 output pressure) can rt at about 20+ bps? And it will never chop? But we'll get to that once you start out.
So if get a classic magazine I can upgrade it to a ule body? And just grab a few more parts and ill be in buissness. That's sick cause I've been looking and classic mags are cheap
Thanks man you have been really helpful and any more info anyone else has would be great
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Just remember one thing. It might cost you more building off a classic.

ULE/Custom Body = $100-230
Double Trigger Frame = $45-200
RT/X Valve = $150-230
Aftermarket Rail = $50-100

I tell everyone to look around at the different setups. See what you like and don't like then build it from scratch or find a marker within your $$$ that's almost like the one your wanting, then get the few items your missing for it. You can get a well equipped mag for around $350 range.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Ando speaks the truth!

It's not uncommon for people to start with a classic, add some upgrades and discover they have enough 'leftover' parts to build the original classic again
Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sQuidvision View Post
Ando speaks the truth!

It's not uncommon for people to start with a classic, add some upgrades and discover they have enough 'leftover' parts to build the original classic again
My "original" mag from the early 90s is down to the metal frame. Everything else has been slowly customized or replaced, one piece at a time. Having gone through the "level 7 upgrade program" with AGD, I quickly lost the need to preserve it as original.

Some mags are long term projects, and some are parts-box-spawn that fit a niche.

I have one classic that is on its fourth re-make as it just doesn't want to fit in.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

They are the most customizable of markers. I've owned more than a dozen mags over the years and have spent thousands. The one warning I will give you...once you catch mag fever, it is very hard to get rid of. It's like a good std...
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
One shot one kill

Well I'm fine with a classic as long as it works and just use it and upgraded it as I seem fit thanks guys you all have been so helpfil
Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

The best help we can give, is don't get into Mags.

Now if you want to not have money for other things, and multiple fun markers, do what these guys have said. If you want a cheap classic as a reliable beater, do that. If you want something snazzy and amazing, start from the ground up. Find the parts you want and just build your dream gun.

I bought a mag, ULE body, Xvalve, it was a good start but I still replaced EVERYTHING except the valve and put about a grand into it and 3 years getting parts. But it is mine. If I didn't need the cash I would still have a second mag just from the parts.

This is how they breed. Watch your wallet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
We can always hack and mold it the way we want it. This is MCB after all....
gunman_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs