mcarterbrown.com

Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Ball lover.

Question Tank mounting on back.

I am interested in this mounting option, but it looks like it's built into the rail. Anyone know how to do this?

Name:  automag_6.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  62.9 KB
Qoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Its an ASA, the holes are drilled in the top, the screws are beneath the valve. There is probably a bunch of these in the BST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Custom User

If the rail doesn't have the holes already, often on the inside of the rail there are 2 holes partially drilled at the right location. All you have to do is carefully drill them out. If you dont want to modify your rail permanently look for one in the Buy and sell that is already factory drilled. They run about $20.
adam45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Of the couple of those I've used over the years, they were extremely mean on o-rings. You either buy a bulk package of o-rings and toss them regularly and/or re-work the insides. Granted, I used them mainly on CO2, but had some of the same problems (but less) with HPA.

The pin depressor is usually long, opening the bottle before the o-ring seats. The threads are very sharp and like to slice o-rings. There is no o-ring "saver" port/pin-hole/vent.

I used a dremel and a drill press to "fix" these issues. For CO2, it still chews an o-ring sometimes, but only due to swelling and it's good to most HPA tanks now.

That said, I really like shooting back bottle arrangements.

That one in your pic has a vent hole, so I have always wondered if AGD made nicer ones that I never saw. Interesting, because that has to be a very old mag with that number and the no-allen field strip screw.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have a back bottle adapter that I don't want. Pm me if interested. I remember from the tech vid that Tom Kaye said that you must unscrew the tank all the way before screwing it back in or you will cut the o-ring every time.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Ball lover.

Many thanks for all the info, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
For CO2, it still chews an o-ring sometimes, but only due to swelling and it's good to most HPA tanks now.
Well that's not good news for me, since I'm planning on using cO2 (for now). How much does a bag of O-rings cost? I have yet the need to replace any on my 98 Custom (or any tanks screwed into it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Blond View Post
Tom Kaye said that you must unscrew the tank all the way before screwing it back in or you will cut the o-ring every time.
Any idea why that might be?
Qoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

it had something to do with the threading I think. Not really sure though, but that's what he said.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoph View Post
Any idea why that might be?
If you back it out part way, the o-ring gets pushed out into the thread area. You only end up chopping the ring into pieces.

A box of 50 o-rings used to be about $5, but I recently paid about $8 shipped for 40.

I am also referring to leaving a bottle on the marker for hours at a time. When the o-ring swells up, we can often just set it aside to go back down and use it later. Even so, some other asa's are much nicer about o-rings.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

you can also put a tank ring in the ASA before you screw the tank in to make the pin depressor shorter kinda like shims for a ULT...thats how i solved the problem on mine! i cant believe how much people are paying for them on E-bay lately tho...thats Krazy man!!!
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
you can also put a tank ring in the ASA before you screw the tank in to make the pin depressor shorter kinda like shims for a ULT...thats how i solved the problem on mine! i cant believe how much people are paying for them on E-bay lately tho...thats Krazy man!!!
I tried this on one of mine and we couldn't get it to seal up. I have some of the skinny o-rings; I should try one of those if I ever have that problem again.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs