mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   X-valve efficiency insert (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/204408-x-valve-efficiency-insert.html)

Justus 06-03-2012 04:41 PM

X-valve efficiency insert

Hill started a project to make Automag valves more efficient. I bought one of his original inserts for the X-valve, but never got around to installing it. His initial testing showed that he could get 1500+ shots off a 68/4500 tank when using it. He made a short run of the inserts and sold them. Unfortunately, not many other people have posted any efficiency increase data.

Since I won't get around to installing it, I'm selling it. Hopefully someone else will have the time and ability to install it and test it out (and get a lot more shots off a tank with it too). If you're interested, check out my sale thread here: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ml#post2366593

Steve_81 06-05-2012 08:00 AM

That's a shame Justus. The one thing I just don't understand is nobody gave Hill any feedback on what efficiency they were getting. I paid to have 25 of these inserts produced in order to get more of them out there to get some numbers and out of the 17 inserts I have sold, I haven't seen a single bit of data from any of the buyers. Even when it was requested they do so. This project could have gotten off the ground and did something. However, the people smacked it down.

Anyways, I still have 8 Classic valve inserts left as well.

Jaccen 06-05-2012 08:24 AM

What kind of feedback was wanted? I have one of Hill's X-Valves that he installed one in. However, I couldn't do a "before and after." It came installed.

That, and it's part of an "ongoing" Egomag project ;)

Justus 06-05-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaccen (Post 2368426)
That, and it's part of an "ongoing" Egomag project ;)

This, I think, is probably the biggest culprit. People bought these things as part of some project that just isn't completed yet. Also, installing one takes a little bit of technical know-how, as removing the powertube from the valve isn't exactly easy the first time. I had planned on installing it, but not until after D-Day because I didn't want to chance messing up my X-valve and not being able to fix it before the big game.

Then I bought a classic insert, and realized that I probably wouldn't use the X-valve insert because it's just not that important to me. The classic insert is a different story, because I've got my classic valve in my pump-mag and will use 12ies from time to time. But even with that, I'm not opening up that powertube until after D-Day.

As for the X-valve insert... at least it's not going to just sit in my gearbag unused. I'm offering it up to recoup some of the cost of my classic insert, and to also hopefully get it in the hands of someone who will use it and test it.

Jaccen 06-05-2012 10:40 AM

Yeah, I think most people here are guilty of having one or two mags and/or cockers sitting around in box form :ROTFL:

henchman 06-05-2012 11:50 AM

My problem is, that since installing the insert, first the powertube wouldn't stay screwed on. So I used some blue Loctite. Then, the first game I went to use it again, the brass tip broke off mid game. Fixed that last week. This last weekend, half a game in, the a massive airleak happened. I am going to look at it today to see what's up.

Good thing is, because it's so easy, all I had to do was swap out valves, so it didn't hinder my gameplay at all. And I always bring spares with me of everything. Hoppers and guns.

superman 06-05-2012 12:08 PM

well the other thing that effects the numbers is how the valve is setup. i have a ult with all the shims, and a super soft lvl10. this is not the most efficient setup and practically yields the same numbers as a normal X. but not beeing able to get a 4500 fill pretty much stops me from adding numbers to the data.

i had no problem installing the insert i did it with normal hand tools. put a couple little scratches on the powertube that i cleaned up with fine sand paper.

henchman 06-05-2012 12:32 PM

I use the gold spring, and a ULT, but dont have it set up to RT, and have also been unable to get full fills. The compressor at SC village has been only giving us about 3-3.5k the last few weeks.

superman 06-05-2012 12:45 PM

i use the gold spring aswell. i am only getting about 2.6-3k

rukh013 06-05-2012 04:59 PM

yea i tryed to put this in a emag valve while waiting for my x valve to return from being capped, didn't work. i WILL send the data