mcarterbrown.com

Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
personally i preffer the red springs with my level 10's, but the gold ones work just fine too, and are all i use with the lvl 7's
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Pics or you're full of ****.

AGD NEVER made a silver lvl 7 spring. Unless you're color blind and getting gold and silver mixed up. Only other color AGD did was black.

I've never seen a silver lvl 7 spring.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Miembro de MCB

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I will agree with you that there was a black bolt spring for the level 7.

But, when I upgraded my one of my minimags to level 10, there clearly was a "silver" looking spring on it.

Also, note that in the commonly used exploded valve view, the level 7 bolt doesn't look like a gold spring, but one that looks like a cloudy gray - #15. But, it's too short to be the uncut spring from the Lvl 10 kit.

Also, in the Bill Mills article from Warpig, when he talks about installing the Lvl X, why would he mention there being 4 spring types if he was removing a gold spring that was identical to the Lvl X one? [Aside- it could be the black spring.]

WARPIG - World And Regional Paintball Information Guide

As I said earlier, I'm not saying there wasn't a gold level 7 spring, I just never had one. In fact, the one that appears to come in the level 7 parts kits now is gold. Typically when I think of gold springs, I think automatically of the Lvl X for this reason.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tech...10/springs.jpg

That's from the early level 10 kit that had the long gray spring, the middle red one, and the short gold spring.

I'm not trying to pick an argument with you, but just like you said you've never seen a silver level 7, I've never physically had a gold level 7. After your comments I went and checked out level 7 kits that are now for sale. They do now seem to come with a gold spring.

Last edited by alkafluence; 06-23-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Fixed broken picture with a link to the image instead.
alkafluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Custom User

Good information fellows. The Black spring I have a few of, the gold I have bought with the AM/MM kit. I haven't seen a silver spring outside of the level 10 kit and beause it significantly longer I would recognize it pretty quickly.

I have been building a maintenance booklet for myself by copying and pasting comments made in the threads here and at AO. With some editing its been pretty useful but not very complete. Thanks again for the information.
adam45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
The "gold" spring is standard for level 7 and also comes with the level 10. Its just a standard mag spring. Its square piano wire and its chomated. Its color can be anything from gold to orange to silverish to multi colored. Its also got a shiny finish compared to the lonq silver which has a dull finish in all the sets I have ever seen.

They used to have a round wire spring many moons ago and it could have lost its chromate due to age, but that's still considered a gold spring. I would consider it older than dirt though since they haven't sold them in nearly 20 years.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Pics or you're full of ****.

AGD NEVER made a silver lvl 7 spring. Unless you're color blind and getting gold and silver mixed up. Only other color AGD did was black.

I've never seen a silver lvl 7 spring.
Man relax. Over the years there have been all sorts of colors of main springs for the Mag. Some from AGD some from other aftermarket sources. I know I have Gold, silverish, white [expect corrosion], black ones and ones that look like they have no coating at all. The "gold" is just a cadmium coating for corrosion resistance.

As to the silver for level 7, once I pull out my stuff out of the closet I'll take a picture of the "silverish" one that has been on my lvl 7 Mag for a decade or more.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkafluence View Post
But, when I upgraded my one of my minimags to level 10, there clearly was a "silver" looking spring on it.
When's the last time you've had a mag? They've been making the gold spring for as long I can remember...I know damn well they had them when I got my first mag in '94.

Quote:
Also, in the Bill Mills article from Warpig, when he talks about installing the Lvl X, why would he mention there being 4 spring types if he was removing a gold spring that was identical to the Lvl X one? [Aside- it could be the black spring.]
If you would have looked at the pictures in the article, you would have seen the black spring on his classic RT he was replacing hence the 4 spring types.

Quote:
As I said earlier, I'm not saying there wasn't a gold level 7 spring, I just never had one.

I'm not trying to pick an argument with you, but just like you said you've never seen a silver level 7, I've never physically had a gold level 7.
HOW IS THAT POSIBLE after 17+ years of them making the spring?!?!? And of all the lvl 7's you supposedly have had, you've never came across a gold spring? I find that hard to swallow.

Look, this all boils down to not just you but others giving ****ty advice on the forums (Here, AO, PBN...etc.). I've seen it numerous time and have had to correct them on how to properly fix their issue(s).

If there's ANY doubt in the information you're about to give someone, just don't give it at all.

Last edited by Ando; 06-24-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Man relax. Over the years there have been all sorts of colors of main springs for the Mag. Some from AGD some from other aftermarket sources.
Again...AGD never made a silver lvl 7 spring.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam45 View Post
Good information fellows. The Black spring I have a few of, the gold I have bought with the AM/MM kit. I haven't seen a silver spring outside of the level 10 kit and beause it significantly longer I would recognize it pretty quickly.
So, when you pull a spring out of a box after several years and can't remember if it is "new", you just have to look at the length compared to the end of the bolt it is on. Flush and a little under is something you would use on a pump mag, not recommended for regular use. A new gold or unused black spring will be about 3/16" to 1/4" above the end. Red and silver L10 springs are about 1/2" or 5/8" above the end when new / uncut. The longer length means lighter bolt action, but they need higher chamber pressure to blow forward which is what keeps them shooting at higher velocities but not very well at lower velocities.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Custom User

Happy ending. The mag worked "excellently" last weekend. Wish I could have gone to the scenario but family was in town and thats important to me.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I appreciate all the input.
adam45 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs