mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   Bolt not resetting occasionally (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/206129-bolt-not-resetting-occasionally.html)

adam45 06-21-2012 05:31 PM

Bolt not resetting occasionally

Level 7, Minimag valve, changed O-rings in power tube and on/off with proper O-rings from a kit.

When I disassembled the power tube I discovered an O-ring behind the spacer but also one in front of the spacer. There is a third one on the tip. When I reassembled I left out the O-ring in front of the spacer, that is the one closest to the brass tip but not on it. I don't think this one is supposed to be there. Ran oil through and oiled everything before reassembly.

The original problem was gassing down the barrel. Now ocassionally the bolt does not reset. Its not gassing down the barrel. The sear is good. The spring was replaced after I discovered the bolt not resetting. The spring is gold coloured. The problem persists with or with out the Noxx twist/cocker adapter installed.

Is the spacer ( .220 ) to short? I am at a loss to figure this one out. I havent had to do any maintenance on any of my mags for a couple of years. What am I forgetting?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Grendel 06-21-2012 06:07 PM

New main spring needed most likely. They wear out after a while

Spider! 06-21-2012 06:17 PM

That is a fairly long spacer for not resetting. You can't be too far off.

Do you have your rail bushing in place? You would have to be pushing your valve forward during assembly, but its usually worth asking.

Make sure your body washer where the bolt passes through is clean and clear. Old mags can have some nasty build-up there.

Spider! 06-21-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grendel (Post 2387144)
New main spring needed most likely. They wear out after a while

I was assuming that the replacement spring was new, but that would be a good point otherwise.

audioSLAVE 06-21-2012 07:21 PM

Does the body have the stock finish on it?
Is the power tube tip coming loose after firing it?

russc 06-21-2012 07:48 PM

Hey Paul, my phone is dead. Got your message but I can't call back.

It's definitely a strange issue, considering the fact that it shot fine when I saw it a couple weeks ago.

I'm kind of stumped...what happens if you put the oring back in there with the spacer?

adam45 06-21-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioSLAVE (Post 2387236)
Does the body have the stock finish on it?
Is the power tube tip coming loose after firing it?

The body is stock.
Yes the tip is coming loose or was I ran out of air.

alkafluence 06-21-2012 08:39 PM

Level 7 mags don't use the Gold Spring... that's from Level X installations

audioSLAVE 06-21-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam45 (Post 2387288)
The body is stock.
Yes the tip is coming loose or was I ran out of air.

Try replacing the o-ring on the tip if you haven't already. I was having similar issues with bolt stick and double firing on a mag last week pulling my hair out trying to swap out every part to trouble shoot before I ran out of air. The power tube tip not staying tight was one issue I ran into swapping out different spacers. My issue in the end was the body was refinished and polished where it met the rail and the tolerances were out of whack.

adam45 06-21-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russc (Post 2387261)
Hey Paul, my phone is dead. Got your message but I can't call back.

It's definitely a strange issue, considering the fact that it shot fine when I saw it a couple weeks ago.

I'm kind of stumped...what happens if you put the oring back in there with the spacer?

The drag on the bolt causes it to stick more often. Its not leaking so the second o-ring isnt needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkafluence (Post 2387327)
Level 7 mags don't use the Gold Spring... that's from Level X installations

I will try another spring. I have a bunch but the gold one is the one that has always been on that valve. Previous owner must have put it there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioSLAVE (Post 2387391)
Try replacing the o-ring on the tip if you haven't already. I was having similar issues with bolt stick and double firing on a mag last week pulling my hair out trying to swap out every part to trouble shoot before I ran out of air. The power tube tip not staying tight was one issue I ran into swapping out different spacers. My issue in the end was the body was refinished and polished where it met the rail and the tolerances were out of whack.

I have replaced the tip O-ring and it hasnt moved. The first one was very dried out. I think the issue here is the tension on the frame screws. I loosen it up a bit and it seems good. I'm handing it back to a friend who wants to use it at a big game this weekend. I'm hoping it will be alright. I will advise him to take a backup marker.

Thanks everyone.