mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
12 year hiatus over...

Returning after an absence... comparing Mag differences

Ok, so I have an original Level 7 Automag - 4 digit serial number. Just picked up a Classic as a backup and noticed a couple differences from my valve... mainly the on/off. Mine is the old cross cut one sided, where the newer one has a round "spool" shaped part with 4 holes through the side more like the RT/ULE...is this a design change for the classic valve? Any improvement over the function of the cross cut? The bottom is classic on/off (round) as is the pin. IOW, it's not an RT upgrade.
I had put in a fancy (forget who made it) multi- hole and after AGD rebuilt the valve for me it performed just as good with the cross as the hop up part so it stayed stock from then on.
versus

Also the drilling in the regulator is different - wondering if it's production changes or custom.. My old one has 2 holes from the back to the front (remember the old 8 hole mod?) The new one has 1 hole, but it's larger diameter.

Next question - I get the 4 hole mod in the following picture, the groove in the back would be to further speed the recharge, correct? Any idea if it actually worked and worth doing these days? I would never dream of moding my original valve, but now that I have a spare...

Last edited by justme-; 06-29-2012 at 01:00 AM.
justme- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

the on/off to the left is a old one. They aren't too consistent and you'll start experiencing shoot down at say 6-8 bps compared the the right one at 13 to 15 balls per second.

As for the milling on the body of the valve, better performance wasn't the reason. I've seen this a few times and was another option for those valves that didn't have the body and reg holes lined up. As you can see how the milling stops 180* from the body hole which would line up on those valve who's regs were drilled wrong.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
12 year hiatus over...

Good to know - thanks Ando.
I'll have to check around for a newer on/off top to put in my older valve until I can get an RT on/off for it.

That makes sense for the machining - wasn't thinking flow from hole to hole (obviously), I was thinking increasing the chamber size for some reason.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
i might have an on/off top for you... ill check and let you know!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme- View Post
Good to know - thanks Ando.
That makes sense for the machining - wasn't thinking flow from hole to hole (obviously), I was thinking increasing the chamber size for some reason.
Yeah, they found that one hole in the right spot is worth eight all around. If you have a un-aligned reg, you can just drill a single hole in the 12 o'clock position to eliminate the alignment problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
12 year hiatus over...

Well, I gassed her up after 10 years... just oil in the right spots and apply gas - no leaks and she did just like she should! Impressed my friend with his MR1s and electro spyder.
I was digging around and found my manual and repair invoice from AGD under the foam in my case (forgot I put it there) turns out they drilled the extra hole when I sent it in. Forgot all about that - now I know why too. Reading what they did at no cost really makes me appreciate the customer service AGD offered, especially with the lack of it from most companies these days.

Squidvisoion - thanks in advance if you do find one - let me know. (unless someone has an RT on/off they don't need...)

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs