mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   Things that make you go WTF... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/208838-things-make-you-go-wtf.html)

pghp8ntballer 07-22-2012 05:17 PM

Things that make you go WTF...

So I finally got out to a field today to stretch my legs. I took the Phantom and the Smart Mag. A few games with each, climaxing with the mag. This is the first time I've used the mag at a field for a long time, and first with the level 10 kit.

First game went great. I fell in love all over again with the mag. There was an uh-oh moment in the second game though. First couple of shots and I ran out of air... until I turned the air back on. Whoops. Then a few shots go down the field and chuff. Chuff. CHUFF. Oh crap. Pause for a few seconds, and 1 good shot then chuff and chuff. Well I played 2 games like that. 1 good shot then nothing. Maybe a few feet if anything coming out at all. Tank is full and I oiled it before I left this morning. Weird. When I got off the field, I tried to tear it down. Took the barrel out and then tried the valve assembly. The thumbscrew came out but the valve would not twist or come out at all.

I finally just got to check it out now. This time the valve came out just fine but I found the outer edge of the bolt tip chewed/knicked up. WTF? I found out that my wire barrel detent broke and was causing all of the problems. The bolt is knicked now but it doesn't affect operation at all. I just never had this happen or heard of it happening. Anyone else?

adam45 07-22-2012 05:43 PM

Yes I had a wire detent break off and do the same thing. It scratched the side of the bolt but that didnt change anything. If the chip on your bolt is sharp at all you may want to polish it to get rid of the edge. Otherwise its probably playable.

If the valve doesnt want to come out often it is because I have forgotten to pull the trigger. The end of the on/off pin sticks out just a little and catches on the body if you dont pull the trigger when removing the valve.

Properly tuned the level 10 is awesome. Tech your marker and remember that first game, you'll want to go back soon :)

pghp8ntballer 07-22-2012 06:46 PM

Ya like I said that was the first game with the level 10. I used to love shooting it 5 years ago but money issues caused a lack of playing time. When I got around to play again, field paint had gotten very brittle and it would destroy paint just sitting still. I got the level 10 and tuned it last fall. I fell in love all over again. Even for having a large overbore, that mag always shot so smooth and unbelievably straight.

OPBN 07-23-2012 08:39 AM

Had a similiar situation a couple of years ago when one of my detents let loose on my ULE body. Apparently the plastic ball came out and the wire spring was scraping the sides. I realized there was a problem when I was spraying paint. Nothing would come out of the barrel, but yellow goo.

Justus 07-23-2012 04:03 PM

A bent wire detent can also lead to double feeds, and a big mess.