mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pneumag or upgrade to Xvalve

So, not sure if this is the right place to post but I have a ULE classic now for 6 years, and it functions fine, but was looking to lighten the trigger pull. I am not interested in high BPS which is why I bought the classic in the first place. Why a lighter trigger pull you ask? I guess to see what it would take, and I like to tinker. anyways, what would you guys suggest? Xvalve with a ULT, or mod my existing setup with a Pneu option?
MikeyD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

The x-valve with ULT works very well, but not much tinkering after you get it set up.

A pneu may not be cheaper, depending on your existing parts and plan. Pneu'd classics tend to chuff a little more than the x-valves as you push yourself on the trigger. Building a classic pneu still allows you to add an x-valve later, and it's a lot of tinkering.

You can also take the usual maggot path, one or more of each.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thought about that as well, but not sure my wife would appreciate the growing number of guns. I do have a LPR lying around somewhere (i think its a Micro Rock or whatever), really not sure if it works or not but that would make the Pneu mod cheaper. when the Classic chuffs, is it only after increasing the rate of fire, or is it more random?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD. View Post
Thought about that as well, but not sure my wife would appreciate the growing number of guns. I do have a LPR lying around somewhere (i think its a Micro Rock or whatever), really not sure if it works or not but that would make the Pneu mod cheaper. when the Classic chuffs, is it only after increasing the rate of fire, or is it more random?
The classic cycle time is about twice that of the x-valve (~60 msec vs ~35 msec), and the x-valve will fight against the mpa-3 a little more to get to the recharge state. When you flop one finger right after the other, or you are slow to pick the first finger up, you can be asking the valve to recharge in a time that would be faster than two shots at 20 bps. An x-valve can make that, but a classic can't. You get ball collisions since the second ball is limping along and the next ball catches up in the barrel or up to a few feet out.

Some people get along fine with classic pneus. I would mess up a pneu'd x-valve about once a day with a barrel break, usually trying to run and chew gum (shoot) at the same time. After a year or so of messing around, I put a classic valve back in it with electronics. Now it never screws up.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

seems like I would have to "learn" how to shoot a Pneumag then. I have a R/T on/off in there already and it did make the pull a little better, but I was looking for a little lighter. I dont care about the RT affect either. I dont mind the work putting a pneu mod in the intelli frame, but will this make the mag less reliable/finicky? I like the fact that I just go play, I dont want it to turn into an Autococker.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
a pneumag will be inherently less reliable than a straight mech setup... i know i have had mine crap out on several occasions... fortunately i chose the typical maggot path and have at least 4 other mags to choose from lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sQuidvision View Post
a pneumag will be inherently less reliable than a straight mech setup... i know i have had mine crap out on several occasions... fortunately i chose the typical maggot path and have at least 4 other mags to choose from lol.
Yep, more parts means less reliability, especially with adding LPRs. However, the only thing that has, err, given up on my EP classic is the quad o-rings I put in it. I went back and tuned it with a regular o-ring. A palmers micro rock has been well behaved, which helps the solenoid valve. I think if you get it set up right and use loctite right, they do alright, especially for the higher rate of fire that they usually end up with.

There's a good pneu thread in the stickies above. You have to plan out your air lines on a pneu, it can make a difference in cost and operation. You get into the valves and ram, but the air line routing can get left to the end and cause trouble.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs