mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Craigslist King!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Leaking and Chuffing Riflemag

So I built this super awesome Lvl. 10, Xvalve, Riflemag and I can't get the darn thing to work right. It leaks down the barrel a moderate amount and it chuffs about every three to five shots. I fine tuned the Lvl. 10 a couple months ago. works better than it ever has but, it has also stopped RTing. it just shoots semi. remember this is an Xvalve. I've also just started using a 70/4500 with an Air America Apocalypse reg, rather than my standard crossfire. I had these problems before I switched tanks though. I was hopping that greater pressure would solve the problem, but I was wrong. If somebody could point me in the right direction on how to get my mag to stop leaking and start RTing that would be great!
crzypntbllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

take apart, clean and re-oil the on/off assembly. but, I'm a n00b to mags. so don't listen to me. listen to spider!.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Craigslist King!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Thanks Legolas, I looked at the on/off assembly and replaced an old crumbling oring. that helped with the chuffing but it's still leaking down the barrel and not RTing.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Custom User

I am assuming your rifle stock is wood and your valve was RTing before.

Leaks down the barrel when the triggers at rest is the power tube O ring. Start again on the level 10 set up.

Leaks down the barrel when the trigger is pulled is the top On/Off O ring. Replace it.

If you have a regular grip frame tech your level 10 with that installed. Then when you move it over to the rifle stock you know that if the leak continues it is something in your trigger assembly thats causing the problem.

If theres no Rt effect it could be theres a restriction in the air flow causing lower pressure and/or air flow. Check your fitting are not obstructed by tape or your swivel joints are not partly covered by other fittings. Chuffing every few shots indicates theres a lack of air flow, at least thats what was going on with my X valve.

Keep your thread alive till you have it figured out. Then let us know what the problem was, it will help someone else later.
adam45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Adam hit a lot of fine points. Biggest thing to do here is move the valve to a stock setup. Get everything working on it then swap it over to your rifle.

Pull all the shims out of your lvl 10 when you tune it. Too many shims will also cause a leak and will make you go with a smaller carrier then what is needed for your bolt and will cause chuffing and bolt stick.

The spring you have installed will also effect your RT. Best RT performance would be with the Gold spring with a stock RT on/off. If you have a ULT installed then that too is a RT killer.

If your on/off orings were bad then more then likely the rest of your oring are too or on the verge of going. I would buy a rebuild kit and change everything out on GP.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Craigslist King!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I flipped it over to the normal Body and it works like a charm, no leaks however No RT.
I also noticed that that it stops leaking when I push the trigger fully forward, it turns out the sear has a problem returning to the all the way to off position. I think the problem is the trigger rod I made for it.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzypntbllr View Post
I also noticed that that it stops leaking when I push the trigger fully forward, it turns out the sear has a problem returning to the all the way to off position. I think the problem is the trigger rod I made for it.
Make sure you keep the gap (~1/32") between the back of the trigger and the trigger rod. That rule is not about frames, it's about the sear and applies to any mag setup. That could be your chuffing problem and your RT problem.

If you tuned your level 10 a while back with a new o-ring and shot a 1000 or so, you may need to go to the next smaller carrier to tighten up the worn-in o-ring. That would be a trigger sensitive leak.

Like Ando said, if your on/off o-ring was crumbly, do you know the condition of your regulator o-rings? The reg pin o-rings need to be in good shape as well as the piston o-ring to get good RT.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Craigslist King!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Turns out the sear I was using had a large chunk out of it. So I switched it out with a different sear and retuned the level ten. After that it seemed to work great but when I put paint in it I discovered that the barrel's breach was wasn't allowing paint to get all the way down and causing chops. I rounded it out a bit more and now have a fully work riflemag!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Custom User

Thats great! Its time for pictures, please.
adam45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Craigslist King!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
he he he he...

Behold the "Ol' Tom" the Pirate-Mag

more Action shots to come, and maybe a video! I'll be General in a scenario game this weekend. Hopefully inspiring my comrades to Victory with it's Brass and Wood Beauty!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs