mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Pump to semi conversion

I want to apologize in advance for my ignorance when it comes to automag, its a new animal for me. Some time ago i purchased a pump mag i thought was working. Turns out it leaks like crazy and i just cant figure it out. Needless to say it found its way to the bottom of the gear bag. No that i have a little more time and a lot more resources I'd like to convert this back to a semi. I looked through a few pic threads and figure id like something like this

This is what im working with

Its got a minimag valve and what i was told to be a level 6 bolt.

Based on my research id like to do a level 10 bolt and rt valve. id like the trigger frame pictured on the first mag pic. Id also like that 15 degree for grip.
Could someone point me in the right direction for parts and enlighten me on the best ways of going about this. Specifically, where can i buy the parts (new)? What should i be looking for? And finally im open to suggestions.
Reason for this is that I've gone on a old school gun binge and this is the next step in my old school marker whoring.

Thank you all very much

PBN Feedback
robous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

All you need to do is pull the wave spring out and your done. It's back to semi. Might need a different bolt spring but besides that...Your back in semi

As far as everything else. You can get everything in that picture you posted new except for the rail. You could give Rougefactor a PM and see if he has any of those rails left. Everything else can be purchased though AGD or Tuna. The foregrip is a made by VD but Deadlywinds came out with a new batch of fiber grips for the mag about 4-5 months ago. I'm sure they still have more.

Now for your leak. Where is it leaking from?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by robous View Post
Could someone point me in the right direction for parts and enlighten me on the best ways of going about this.
First step, fix your Pump Mag and sell it. Next, find and buy a Mag close to what you want. You are talking about effectively replacing every single thing on the gun.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Idkfa i would consider selling only if i can find something which as of late has been pretty tough. I figures since i already have a good ule body to work with it would be a solid foundation for a project. The leak occures when gassing up. It hisses before pumping the gun then it degasses the valve. This is my observation

PBN Feedback
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

The pump mag is fixable, but a completely different setup. As a pump mag, it should be good. The other one is somewhat custom and will perform very differently. Like the others say, I would sell it, part it out, or keep it as is (with mods of course ).

If you are willilng to ano when you're through, you could use the body and rail. The grip in the pic is a Venomous Designs, which is , .. a limited run custom piece (nice but hard to come by). The frame was milled in the trigger guard, but is an AGD frame. A used RTPro or ReTro valve will save you some money, but there's no shame in a brand new x-valve, since they come with all the level 10 parts you need and fresh seals.

Lukescustom (luke-AO on here) does rail milling on your rails, as a custom alternative. The rest is either AGD, Tuna, or the BSTs.
http://lukescustoms.com/page0001.htm

The BSTs are great for mag parts. Just beware, they will suck your wallet dry. The dealer section on AO also has the occasional short run custom body, frame or rail, but as always, beware the pre-order. Xmagterror has been shipping new aluminum minimag bodies lately, and looks like he still has a few.
Automags.Org Online Forums - Aluminum Minimag Style Body Preorder

You could keep that body and ship it to warpedmephisto for a carbon fiber back.
Automags.Org Online Forums - CF Sleeved ULE Body Mods

If you come across an M90 frame, those are a nice custom vert frame. Cerebus Innovations "Airwalk" frames were nice custom frames as well. Need4reebs has a CI "Stormwalk" frame posted up recently. Those are just examples of some older custom parts you might come across that are worth looking at (well made).

We got stuff, man.

Last edited by Spider!; 10-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thank you so much for that info. I have quite a few pumps as it is so i figured not having this one as a pump would be okay. Im going to spend some time on ao doing some research. Maybe ill just sell and start a build from the ground up. I know its a long shot but what based on my description could be the cause of the leak? And what could be a possible solution?

PBN Feedback

Last edited by robous; 10-05-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Make sure you post up a "whats it worth" thread before you start parting. The frame looks like a Kapp Groovy frame and they are fairly sought after. Also, the pump kit I think is a Rainman one which run about $150 new, so don't go giving those away.

Depending on price, I woud probably be interested in both.

Also, just so you're prepared, working with what you have already, you'll be looking at around $465+ to get something simliar to the top pic.

X valves are $180-200
Rail is $130+ (if you can find one)
Frame = $ 120 - Looks like an RPG ultralight which Rogue still has for sale ( You can get a regular Intelliframe for $60-75 on AO used)
Sear = $25
Foregrip = $ 50
CCM Macro fittings = $ 30/set
Clamping feedneck = 25+

Last edited by OPBN; 10-05-2012 at 12:25 PM.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Yeah i definitely will be selling because i feel like this could get way over my head if i try to build

PBN Feedback
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

First thing, is it a leak from the front or the back? Does it continue to leak when you hold the trigger down? See Rudz' sticky in this section. There's also a whole set of Tom Kaye automag trouble shooting videos (9) on youtube. They are old, but so is the mag.

Being a pump mag, there are a few things you have to check for sure.

1) Make sure you have a rail bushing, the metal sleeve between the rail and the frame where the field strip screw is in the back.
2) Make sure the bolt bumper (probably black) is inside the wave spring, not regular sized and under it or over it.
3) The bolt spring should be right about the length of the bolt, maybe a little under. Too long is just semi-auto territory, too short is hard to reset.

After that, the power tube spacer is your usual problem where people have mixed and matched parts and never put the right spacer in. If all else is good, you would try a shorter spacer. The kits are still a stocked part if you need to buy new.

BTW, here's some gun whore rationalization for a pump mag;

1) Regulated open bolt. Good consistency with varying paint sizes. No roll outs or half roll outs. No double feeds.

2) Unique pump stroke. Light with a nice tap at the end, which makes good feedback.

Don't think of it as just another pump, but a unique pump. It's like the nelson vs sheridan thing. It's a pump, but different.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
Rail is $130+ (if you can find one)
There's 2 on AO for sale right now.

It's not hard at all to build a mag, we can help too.

Body w/feedneck
Rail w/sear
Frame and Grip
Valve
2 screws....

...and done

As long as it's not a classic RT or Sydarm. EVERY body, frame and valve are interchangeable.

Last edited by Ando; 10-05-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Ando is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs