mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I need MicroMag help...

I have a MicroMag (see picture below) that has developed a problem. When I am shooting it, the trigger loses pressure (completely dead) and the gun won't fire. It seems like the result of bolt stick, same type of trigger behavior. I replaced the main spring and although the gun performed well after that for about 200 shots, the problem came back. The gun has a power tube spacer, not a spring. There are no obstructions in the body/bolt area that would cause the bolt to hang up. I was careful not to tighten the field strip screw too tight - just finger tight. I was using a Ninja 68/4500 tank with the standard 800-850 psi output from the factory.

It is really very frustrating and I can't find anything give me any guidance besides a new bolt spring and being careful not to tighten the field strip bolt too much. The bizarre thing is, this 'gun was performing great a few months ago in its current setup. I used it at CPX for Living Legends 5 without problem. Would a bad oring cause this issue? If so, which one?

Can you guys help?! I am at my wits end...

Justin

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
JKR

Forgot to add...standard AGD level 7 bolt and Classic valve.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
ive had a couple valves that would get bolt stick unless i tightened the fieldstrip screw... i would give that a go. Dont go crazy on it, but snug it up a bit with an alan key and see if it does the trick.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Marathoner

First, make sure that it is bolt stick by pressing on the bolt with a squeegie. If the bolt/trigger resets, it is bolt stick.

If it is:
You will want a longer powertube spacer (if you still have a powertube spring, get a spacer kit from AGD)
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not a Furry

Send a message via AIM to Clearush

Have you taken the on/off out cleaned and oiled it then take the back off and clean and oil the reg seat then take the spring pack out and regrease that.

Does the clevis move freely in the trigger frame?

Is the on/off aligned properly and not sticking against the body in the off position.

Is there any new bolt wear that has started with thks issue.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
JKR

I have a question about the powertube spacer. If it is the stock valve and bolt and it was working fine previously, what would necessitate a longer spacer? Do things change with different setups that cause one to need a new spacer?

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
I have a question about the powertube spacer. If it is the stock valve and bolt and it was working fine previously, what would necessitate a longer spacer? Do things change with different setups that cause one to need a new spacer?
If it was working previously, I'd actually start with a new bolt spring. They do wear out and are considered consumable.
Another thing that can cause sticking (iirc) is if you are missing the powertube tip o-ring. This o-ring is not a sealing o-ring, but it keeps the powertube tip from backing out.

But, since this is a Micromag, the first thing I would check is mushrooming inside the body where the bolt spring rests against. Mushrooming can cause friction against the bolt.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretweaponevan View Post
If it was working previously, I'd actually start with a new bolt spring. They do wear out and are considered consumable.
Another thing that can cause sticking (iirc) is if you are missing the powertube tip o-ring. This o-ring is not a sealing o-ring, but it keeps the powertube tip from backing out.

But, since this is a Micromag, the first thing I would check is mushrooming inside the body where the bolt spring rests against. Mushrooming can cause friction against the bolt.
I put a new bolt spring on and it did work well for about 200 or maybe 300 shots and then it started acting up again.

I checked the power tube tip to be sure it hadn't backed and when I was making sure the bolt moved freely on the power tube.

I will check the above mentioned things with greater care very soon.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretweaponevan View Post
I have never heard of mushrooming issues on the older MM's. There was some reports of it on the MM2K9, but this was only reported on a few and PTP offered steel inserts to solve the problem. The older Gens of MM's has steel washers and clips to prevent issues.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
I have never heard of mushrooming issues on the older MM's. There was some reports of it on the MM2K9, but this was only reported on a few and PTP offered steel inserts to solve the problem. The older Gens of MM's has steel washers and clips to prevent issues.
Ah. Thanks for the correction.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs