mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   When did you first hear about 'Mags? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/219016-when-did-you-first-hear-about-mags.html)

Dusty Bottoms 11-19-2012 09:09 PM

When did you first hear about 'Mags?

Just curious AGD lovers, when did you hear about, or see, a 'Mag for the first time?

I was in 5th grade, about '92, and bought my first paintball gun magazine at the mall (Paintball Sports I believe). I instantly knew I would love this game, and I saw an advertisement illustration (not even a real picture!) of a guy shooting this gun that looked really cool. It looked clean, not all clunky/ungainly like alot of the other guns in the magazine, and it was nice and compact. Turns out it was a Automag! Fast foward a few years to my first time playing, and it just so happened that one of the experienced players who massacred my friends and I throughout the day was using a Minimag.:gunsfiring:

Even though they remained well out of my price range when I started playing all through highschool, I always continued to like 'Mags in general and still do.

esperto96 11-19-2012 09:35 PM

I first heard about them in the mid 90s, my highschool years, as part of the big mag vs cocker wars. At the time, I could only afford playing pump with my PMI Trracer and PGP and dream of those fancy semi-autos. Both of the big name high ends were out of my league in those days.

When I finally could afford something fancy in 2003, I went with autococker because my local proshop stocked them and had plenty of parts. I was misinformed by the shop that mags were gone the way of the dodo.

Fast forward a few more years and I had the opportunity to shoot a Spec Ops Tac-One Longbow at a game. I liked how the marker felt (though wasn't a big fan of the stock) and soon had my own AGD Tac-One.

Part of me wishes that I had known about the mags still being around back in 03. Now our family has 4 mags of various flavors to play with and we're happy.

b-cuzz 11-19-2012 10:01 PM

Either '99 or '00, I was at Cobra Paintball in Carlsbad, CA, and saw 2 Micro's for the first time. one was golden nights, the other was blue nights. both were double triggers, and both had matched trigger shoes. I didn't get either one, because I was a newbie, they were r/t's, they were expensive for a lowly e-3, and all Camp Pendleton served at the time was co2. I bought my first classic in '04 or '05. It had a small leak, and I ended up using it anyway. Dunno why I stuck with 'em, but I now have 6, and have sold 2.

homerj 11-19-2012 10:28 PM

back in 97 when i first started playing. used to buy all the paintball magazines i could get my hands on & there were ads for them. them & autocockers always seemed so unreachable. i forget when i got my first one but it was a few years after i started playing. loved it so much. always regretted getting rid of it. i recently bought a field rental from my local owner & i've fallen in love all over again. honestly, for woodsball they are such great guns. they shoot really good & even though you can achieve a decent rate of fire for a mech i don't shoot nearly as much paint as when i'm using one of my electros.

MR_Rick 11-19-2012 10:45 PM

I was 13-14 years old, some where around 1990-1991. I went to pick up my monster PMI2 that just got load tube hacked off for installation of direct feed and constant air mod. As I was just getting it handed to me, the store was just putting up a 68 automag in display. I asked the clerk..."WHAT'S THAT?!?!" He replied " New gun that just came out". I handed him my PMI2 back and told him to put it in consignment for sale. Came back a week later and got my 68 automag.

Otter 11-19-2012 10:47 PM

Going to really rock the old school boat here, with a new old school story from an 18yo. I started playing in '06, using a tippmann. A hour from my home, there was sort of a paintball store, and I picked up this weird marker one day. Two weeks and some research later, I bought it (or more correctly, a PO'ed mother who drove an hour one way just to get some peace and quiet), and fell in love. I wound up selling that mag in a fit of stupidity, mainly because I had no upper body strength until '09. Coming full circle though, some forty markers bought and sold later, and am piecing together a mag now. I just couldn't get the hang of plastic feednecks and twistlocks, thus why I couldn't settle.

sQuidvision 11-20-2012 02:25 AM

^^your ULE body is in the mail btw :p

I found mags through this blessed website. I played exclusively with tippmanns until I grabbed a minimag off evilbay. I remember taking it uout of the box and thinking two things... "Wow this feels like quality" and "how do I cock this thing!?"

Now I've got a healthy collection of high-end mags, my tippmanns are gone, and I couldn't be happier!

ironnerd88 11-20-2012 10:30 AM

July/August 1992 - I was on break from college and my friend took me to a local field - where I got to ref a woodsball tourney (kinda cool). The owner of the field was on one of the teams, and he had a 'mag.

I remember thinking "Cute gun, I'll stick with my pump".

<reminisce>
Over that summer we played there a few times. KaMaR with his TASO Spartan, and me with my Rebline, against guys with 'Mags and 68 Specials (maybe an F1). It was fun... but it was also tough going. They made us really work for every hit.
</reminisce>

Justus 11-20-2012 10:40 AM

Started playing Sometime around 2006-2007 and picked up a Spyder MR-1 from Walmart so I would have a new marker to play some outlaw ball with. Took it back that night, after playing with it for the day, and went online to do a little looking around. I settled on a Tippmann A-5 and bought one off evil-bay. Played with that for a couple years (outlaw with family), then an org I work with started using paintball as a ministry tool for teens. That led to a lot more playing time, meeting more people, and the need to increase my ability to fix various markers. Ended up we made our own paintball field, and one of the guys who helps us a lot (Ochsy here on MCB) introduced me to Automags. That same winter I picked up a Tac One longbow here in the BST (my wife let me get it as a Christmas present to myself) and I sold my Tippmann. It's been non-stop since. Everything about that Tac One longbow is gone now except the X-valve, as it's been morphed into a warp-left E-Tac. I've also built two custom Minimags for my dad and father-in-law, a pump mag for myself, and am working on an ultralight pneumag for my 3-year-old son (He loves shooting paintballs in the yard). It never stops.

Little known fact: sQuid's Infection Emag is actually an art piece symbolizing the G.A.S. (gear-acquisition-sickness) that overcomes enlightened paintball players when they discover the smoothness and consistency of Automags.

idkfa 11-20-2012 10:49 AM

I played my first game in 1998 or so. It was a birthday party and we were playing with rented ACI Mavericks/Hornets. I remember hearing some people talking about Spyders and Mags, and a guy there had, to the best of my recollection, an RT Mag. He ripped off a stream of shots at the side of the building. It was impressive, and a little intimidating.

I only played a few more times between then and when I got my own gear in 2006. I wish I would have remembered Automags instead of buying an A5 (ended up selling it less than a year later). I recall a few dealers still selling the "Classic Automag" from AGD.