mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Painting a stainless body

Just bought a used Minimag body - found a PF hopper right! I am in the process of painting it now. I have put on two light coats of primer and plan on putting a third on tomorrow. Then comes the black paint.

Has anyone had luck painting the stainless body and getting it to hold up? Any tips or suggestions? Brands of paint to avoid? I am using spray paint from a can and doing it myself as I don't have equipment to consider Duracoat. This body is bit rougher than my other stainless bodies so I am hoping it will hold paint well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JKR

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, I've seen people powedercoat with great success, but I have seen a few paintjobs hold up.... One of my tricks when I painted my Tigershark barrel (Held up for about 2 years, before chipping started) was to clean it, prime it, paint it, and then use a clear coat of nail polish, I put on three of those and it gave a nice gloss finish, however It has to be allowed a long time to dry... I've also painted things with black nail polish with a clear coat of nail polish on top with some success as well. the best thing is, when the clear stuff starts coming off, it is easy to reapply more.
sdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Check out Brownell's. They are a huge firearms supply store and have a few bake-on paint finishes. Simply spray, put in the oven for a bit, and it will stick a lot better than normal paint. I just picked up a minimag body as well, and I am planning on running it through my beadblaster and then laying down some of their teflon/moly paint. Not sure what color yet.

TEFLON/MOLY OVEN CURE, GUN FINISH at Brownells
ibrewbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Powdercoat is the way to go...

Rainman did mine and a few others before me, looks great.

http://www.rainman229.com/images/web...litespeed1.JPG
http://www.rainman229.com/images/web...litespeed2.JPG

powdercoated the fatty too!

Rainman does it for a good price as well, but you might want to see if there is some other work you would want done considering shipping costs.
Litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Wooky has a post on how to paint with Duracoat. It can be applied with an air brush or aerosol can. It's great stuff. I painted a Sydarm with it and it can be air or baked dried. You can also google Dura Coat for more info.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...tal-style.html
flyingpootang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Well, for better or worse, I have gone down the road of aerosol products and there is no turning back at this point.

Three light coats of Dupli-color auto primer (in a can) with plenty of dry time between them. Five light coats of black Krylon that I had around the house. Again, plenty of dry time between coats.

So far it isn't looking too bad...

Tomorrow, I will begin clear coating. I plan on three light coats with a clear spray that I picked up from Lowes this evening - Valspar paint branded as American Tradition or something like that.

I will see about posting some pics when I am done. Hopefully my time won't have been wasted and this holds up.

Justin

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs