mcarterbrown.com

Old 02-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Needs new knees

What does the writing on the bottom of the Expansion chamber say? I cant make out the first line.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I dont believe Automags ever existed prior to level 5. Unless it was a one gun prototype. Anything prior to a level 5 automag would have been the panther I beleive.
Most level 5's went to level 6, then 6.5, then 7. and yes, if AGD got ahold of a older version they would update to the new version at that time. And they didnt give you back any old parts. My mag started at a level 6. then 6.5 then 7. It was upgraded by AGD either each time i went to the factory to mess around, or sent it into them for work.
Also, I always thought Farsides official sponsorship with AGD was short lived. And as time went on some guys stayed with mags and some went to illustrators. then it became all illustrators. At least thats what I recall from 1991-1993 happening. And Forrest was the shizle. RIP
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdogg View Post
And as time went on some guys stayed with mags and some went to illustrators. then it became all illustrators. At least thats what I recall from 1991-1993 happening. And Forrest was the shizle. RIP
(!) It was opposite around here. We started with unibody phantoms, then Illustrator F-1s and then went to the pre-level 7 mags. The factory updated all of our team mags in one move. The porting was cut in the barrel and returned un-anoed. The valve no longer had the c-clip in it. I thought it was a whole new valve at the time, but the lasering was the same. There was a power feed put on, but I also thought that whole body was new. The valve and body could have been modded and returned, but they came back quickly so I figured they just swapped them out and were putting the old parts in a queue for upgrading.

Most of us stuck to mags thereafter, going back to an illustrator as a main marker...no. I still have that F-1 and tinker with it on occasion, but I would have to be awful desperate to use it regularly.

The main reason I remember is that I still have a patch from the state tournament series with the year on it ('92 I think ) That particular 1 of 4 events was memorable for several reasons, one of which was trying to get the layer of ice off my mag reg while shooting at the Texas Storm players.

Last edited by Spider!; 02-13-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdogg View Post
I dont believe Automags ever existed prior to level 5. Unless it was a one gun prototype. Anything prior to a level 5 automag would have been the panther I beleive.
Most level 5's went to level 6, then 6.5, then 7. and yes, if AGD got ahold of a older version they would update to the new version at that time. And they didnt give you back any old parts. (
Technically, all of them are Panthers.

P1-P2 (1987-89) were both blowbacks.

P3 was first blow forward, and P4 is what we know as the 68 Automag. But it is still technically a Panther.

I'm talking about levels of the P4. Most of us only know the P4 in levels 5-7 (classic), and then the newer styles.

But Automags most certainly did exist, in numbers, before level 5. They were not made available to the public, but a very small number were released to insiders, sponsored teams (such as the SOBs), etc. for field testing.

EDIT: Here's a link pertinent to this very topic:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showt...Automag-Levels

Check the details of OP's post. His friend worked for AGD. Part of a factory-sponsored team. He himself got prototype stuff.

A valve that has clearly been numbered with an old method, lasered over, scrapped, rescued?

The stamped/engraved numbering alone suggests something older than level 7, 6, 5, especially given that it is beneath the lasering.

It's speculation, of course, but entirely within the realm of possibility, and given all the back story, probably more than merely possible.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Menace; 02-16-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

I was looking at my oldest valve which is around CF0188 and it was engraved over the original number as well. It was originally a number in the 160s? It was also converted to lvl 7. Has anyone else seen this on valves under CF0200?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

A pity this conversation had slipped into the background of late.

Had the man himself to chat with this most recent Tunaball, and we could have settled it in a few minutes flat, and that definitively.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wait, what?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Markers with pedigree and backstory. This is seriously my favorite part of the sport .
FS: Custom Tippmann A5 with Halo Too

FS: Ultimate Kingman Hammer ($120), optional Freak Kit

Feedback
matteekay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Oh the good old days with the coiled braided line on the automag. Such a classic. Lol
Coggles is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs