mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Automag #3...the beginning

Recently picked up a valve and grip frame and Automag #3 is progressing nicely...

I am not entirely sure the direction I am going here but I think I am going to get a Lapco T-stock with drop and mount the stock in a shorter position so some of it is front of the grip frame, then mounting the drop in the opposite direction so my 45 cu in tank will be horizontal with the barrel, below and forward of the trigger - ala the Spec Ops Dagger A5. Add a rubber AGD grip, maybe swap out for another PF body I have, a few fittings and my CQB 'Mag will be ready!

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
JKR

Barrel shroud complete...switched to PF body. Lapco stock is the next step in the evolution.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
JKR

My new Automag (which I am naming the Blitzmag) alongside my Micromag, Minimag, and Sniper II.

Oh, and yes, I do have a thing for Armson sights!

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback

Last edited by JKR; 12-16-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Very Nice! Have you thought of a Cooperative Venture in designing your fourth mag?

Proud Member of The Urban Guard

WTB - AGD Horizontal Front-Rail ASA
Spec Ops C-Series AC Barrel w/ thread tip
PowerLyte AC Back

Items to Trade: A DYE double trigger frame w/ red splash dbl. trigger.
Blue Splash Vertical ASA
Classic SS body w/ cut down feedneck
GodSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
JKR

My LAPCO stock came in today. Some rubber grips, an airline, and a few fittings and she should be ready for a field test! I am calling her the Blitzmag.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback

Last edited by JKR; 12-16-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

No disrespect meant, but why mount the tank that way? Doing some screenshot measuring, if you mounted the tank normally it would be about the same length as the stock and you wouldnt have 5lbs hanging forward of the frame.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
No disrespect meant, but why mount the tank that way? Doing some screenshot measuring, if you mounted the tank normally it would be about the same length as the stock and you wouldnt have 5lbs hanging forward of the frame.
Hawaiian style big Dawg

definitely different...how are ya liking your set up? is it comfortable?
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
I know what you mean. I know one guy that has played with a similar weight distribution for years. It has some interesting prospects here. You can put a variety of stuff around the bottle, but you have to think the play style will be different.

What I'm curious about is, where did the shroud come from and how/why is it designed around the foregrip extender?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
Hawaiian style big Dawg

definitely different...how are ya liking your set up? is it comfortable?
Yeah, I'm familiar with the term. Mostly used with 12g changers mounted forward like this for quicker changing and sometimes little 4.5oz tanks. Makes sense on those, but I never got putting 5lbs worth of full size tank a foot away from your body and carrying it around all day. My back is crying just looking at it
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
JKR

I wanted a different setup on this Automag, something a little out in left field that no one else was doing. I am planning on using this setup at Spring Castle and thought I might have a little more maneuverability if I didn't have a tank to shoulder, hanging off the back end -- especially with a sling in place (plenty of holes in that Lapco stock to work up something!)

I am using a carbon fiber Crossfire 45/4500 on the setup so it is much less than five pounds (about two if you believe quoted weights from ANS). I am not a big mil-sim guy but I just thought the faint resemblance to a grenade launcher under the barrel would be kind of neat. Plus, it was sort of a throw-back to the VM-68 look that I hadn't seen in ages.

The shroud is a home-brew build from PVC, JB Weld, some paint and a final few coats of Plasti-Dip rubber coating. I cut the slot in it by hacksaw and Dremel so it would slide over the foregrip extender as secure mounting point. I plan on drillng and tapping the foregrip extender with another hole and mounting a Picatinny rail that extends toward the end of the shroud.

Yes, it is front-heavy but not all that bad. The Lapco stock shoulders wonderfully and I am liking the feel of not having a tank against my shoulder. I wanted to give this a try just to see what would happen - a mad experiment if you will. If I decide I don't like it...well, it is easily fixed!

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs