mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   Stubborn power tube leak (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/226160-stubborn-power-tube-leak.html)

jellyghost 02-12-2013 10:02 PM

Stubborn power tube leak

I have watched the Tom Kaye videos, and I have ordered two 68 automag classic rebuild kits. Here is the problem:
When the trigger is pulled... no leak.
Release the trigger... leak.

So it must be the power tube. I have replaced the three power tube orings. The one below the spacer, the one above the spacer, and the one around the thing that screws into the power tube. There is still a leak.
Does that process sound right?
Could I need a larger spacer? I bought it used, and it has never worked while in my possession.

adam45 02-12-2013 11:21 PM

I am assuming its a level 7 bolt.

There should only be 2 orings. One behind the spacer and one on the power tube tip. Delete the one in front of the spacer, oil the heck out of it, dry fire it a bunch of times. If its still leaking then the spacer is not the right size.

Ignore the arrow in the photo. I couldnt find the stock exploded view in my files. The arrow is from a previous unrelated thread.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...edredarrow.jpg

jellyghost 02-13-2013 12:25 AM

Thank you!

jellyghost 02-13-2013 03:28 PM

I removed the oring in front of the spacer and there is still a slight barrel leak when using HPA. The barrel leaks when the trigger is released and it does not leak when the trigger is pulled. That means it has to be two power tube orings right?

Justus 02-13-2013 04:17 PM

There's an o-ring that fits on the brass powertube tip to make sure it seals when you screw it down. Then there's an o-ring that sits behind the brass spacer inside the powertube. Those should be the only o-rings you have.

If it's still leaking after you checked both of those o-rings for wear and nicks, inside and out, then you might need to adjust your spacer. I believe one of the more common sizes is .220, but they vary in increments of .005. If you only have the one spacer, hit Tunaman up for a spacer kit.

jellyghost 02-13-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justus (Post 2623991)
There's an o-ring that fits on the brass powertube tip to make sure it seals when you screw it down. Then there's an o-ring that sits behind the brass spacer inside the powertube. Those should be the only o-rings you have.

If it's still leaking after you checked both of those o-rings for wear and nicks, inside and out, then you might need to adjust your spacer. I believe one of the more common sizes is .220, but they vary in increments of .005. If you only have the one spacer, hit Tunaman up for a spacer kit.

Thank you! I had the orings as you described, but when I reread my post, I realized it was unclear. I will contact Tunaman. Does a leak imply a longer or shorter spacer?

Justus 02-13-2013 09:19 PM

Could be either

Spider! 02-13-2013 09:23 PM

If it works normally but has a little leak in the pt it usually needs a shorter insert.

Interceptor 02-14-2013 09:00 PM

Having the same problem but I ran out of air working on it. I have one of the ans spacer kits ill try when I get my tanks filled. It's annoying as hell installing a rebuild kit in the fun but can't tell if the problem is low air or something else.

jellyghost 02-15-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 2625399)
Having the same problem but I ran out of air working on it. I have one of the ans spacer kits ill try when I get my tanks filled. It's annoying as hell installing a rebuild kit in the fun but can't tell if the problem is low air or something else.

Please tell me how is goes. I am out of air too. Will have more air after saturday.