mcarterbrown.com

Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Automag questions!

Hello all,

Excuse me if this is posted incorrectly somehow, as I'm just getting back into paintball after a multi-year hiatus.

I have an old 68 classic upstairs, and it is all that remains of my PB days. I'm getting the bug again, and I love my mag, but I figure that it is impractical to upgrade that old marker piece-by-piece, so I want to build a new one.

Which leads me to my question..

Where do I buy aftermarket/custom parts? I used to love Rogue gear, and dreamt of ordering shiny parts off of TheMagSmith. I still want to build a mechanical mag similar to this "Paradigm" set-up that they used to offer :

I was browsing for parts (new or used) and noticed that Automags.org dealers section seems rather lifeless, and TheMagSmith carries next to nothing. I also remember there being other custom manufacturers back in the day (like DeadlyWind), but I can't afford that anyways.

It seems that besides small custom runs of things, the only other option is to stalk BST threads.

I want a cool body/rail/frame at a decent-ish price! Is there any hope?
billz804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Currently less swamped

Don't worry.

You've come to the right place. Just keep your hook in the water a few moments, and all the fishies will start biting.

You may be surprised how much stuff you'll be able to get (and how fast) around these parts.

A great place to get stuff is from Tunaman. He's good people:

http://www.tunamart.com/index.php

But as you'll see, there are loads of mag lovers here who will be more than happy to help you out.

Welcome to MCB.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Menace; 03-01-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Check the BST section on AO as well. Looking at the Paradigm it looks pretty much a stock RTPro. Might help going through some picture threads to get an idea if what you want. Keep in mind that as a general rule aftermarket AGD parts aren't cheap. Find some more pics of what you're looking for and you can get some input as to general costs on things.

Quick rundown of prices:

X Valve =$180-200+
ULE body = $95-120
Intelliframe = $65-80

It's hard really ball parking complete marker prices since there are so many variables.

Last edited by OPBN; 03-02-2013 at 12:41 AM.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

I appreciate the quick responses!

The Paradigm is just a base of what I want to build. I want a nice frame with a cool looking rail and if I had the money, I'd LOVE to have a cool body (like a DW Chord...yeah right!).

I've been researching since I posted this thread, and MAN! I've found some more aftermarket parts (not readily available, mind you) and they sure aren't cheap.

I regret not buying the available rails and parts I could have a few years ago! They're definitely more scarce now. I guess I'm just going to keep my eye on a couple of BSTs and see if I can't come across any deals.

I do have one more question, though -- If I want to annodize my Mag in the future, do I need to buy raw parts, or is it possible for an annodizing shop to strip previous colors off?

Thanks again for your replies.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

If you want to reanodize, the old colors can be removed by the anodizer - not a problem for a reputable shop.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz804 View Post
I regret not buying the available rails and parts I could have a few years ago! They're definitely more scarce now. I guess I'm just going to keep my eye on a couple of BSTs and see if I can't come across any deals.
Good luck. Some deals can be had but rarely for harder to find/unique bodies. Most of the regulars jump on ridiculous deals and resell them. cough cough. Sometimes you find people napping though.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

So as far as bodies go, is the AGD ULE body really the only option here?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
There are a fair amount of bodies out there. It's all in what you want to spend..... If you're looking for sub $100.. you're probably going to be stuck with a stainless steel body or lucking into a deal on a ULE. Most aftermarket bodies you are looking at $150-180+ AT LEAST. Dallara body rail sets, if you can find them, are in the $350-450 range. There are also Phoenix bodies, XMT has put out a couple recently, Chords, Rippers, TACs, and some others.

And those are just the body/rail combos. There are also the PTP unibody MicroMags, XMag bodies, Shockwave, and a handful of others.

Again, I would go through some pics, find what you like and post some links or what. Im sure someone would be happy to give you a guestimate on what it would cost to build what you're looking at. May be even able to steer you in the right direction.

However, if you're thinking you can build your dream Mag for $125, it probably isnt going to happen unless you stumble on a CL deal or enter into a life of crime.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

Quote:
talk to Rogue on PBLegion.com he makes the RPG gear and he has the new tritons w/upgraded trigger for sale and he might still have a E-Mag length Chord V2..brand new, carnage reigns on AO as well as PBLegion has that Recon Rail from the pic you posted for sale...all you would need is a VASA, gas thru fore grip of some kind, barrel, ASA, and a valve! you could have most of your build by contacting those two people? good luck?
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'd suggest the ULE body. They've been out awhile, and they're still 80-100 bucks used. Folks like 'em, and they're available. Your classic will probably feel totally different than you remember.

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs