mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Problem with loctite

I recently bought a ULE body for my automag and also bought a CCM feedneck. I bought fresh loctite red from home depot and made sure everything was clean from the body to the feedneck. I put loctite on the thread and screwed it in. Fast forward 3 days-- still wet! What should I do? has anybody experienced this problem before with the ULE body and feedneck installation? Please help!
bonamica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

How cold is the room that it's curing in? Was the gun a little cold when you put the lock tite on?
Cartah lovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I want to say around 70 degrees, but it is cold in my apt.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

First of all, I'd advise against using RED loctite on your ULE body/feedneck. Once that stuff cures (and by all means it should have been cured by now), it's going to take a heat gun to get the feedneck off. If you should ever sell your ULE body, the new buyer will definitely not be appreciative.

If you absolutely must use loctite on your feedneck (I don't have a single Automag that I do that with), I'd suggest the Blue 242.

Read this: Loctite Applications
Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old school from way back!

For Loc-tite to cure it needs to have all of the Oxygen removed from the threads. So do you have the Bolts tightened all the way?
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Agreed with Justus. Pull the feedneck back off, clean the Red loctite off thoroughly and just hand tighten it on. Then put your hopper on, lock it into place and use the hopper to tighten it down some more. Granted I am not a diving head first into a bunker sort of player, but I have never had any of my hoppers come loose during play.
OPBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Shocker2k Send a message via MSN to Shocker2k

When I use loctite I only use the blue, and when I do use it I just put a tiny little drop on the threads. If you can see it seeping out around the bolt (feedneck) you have put too much on. A little bit will do ya with loctite.

Nick
Shocker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
Agreed with Justus. Pull the feedneck back off, clean the Red loctite off thoroughly and just hand tighten it on. Then put your hopper on, lock it into place and use the hopper to tighten it down some more. Granted I am not a diving head first into a bunker sort of player, but I have never had any of my hoppers come loose during play.
I initially tried that but then with the halo loader-- it was so heavy that it kept unscrewing the feedneck, so I realized I need to use a thread locker.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker2k View Post
When I use loctite I only use the blue, and when I do use it I just put a tiny little drop on the threads. If you can see it seeping out around the bolt (feedneck) you have put too much on. A little bit will do ya with loctite.

Nick
That might be the problem. I might have used too much. It was puddling and dripping. I was hoping to get all the grooves.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Get all the goooves? With RED loctite?!?!

You know that stuff is designed for doing things like holding in engine block studs and crap like that right?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs