mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Classic valve...leak at back of marker, velocity adjustment nut

Need some help troubleshooting...

I have a Classic-valved L7 Automag with a leak from the back of the marker at the velocity adjustment nut. I went through the normal troubleshooting process and replaced the reg seat. Then I picked up a new regulator piston assembly from RobAGD at the shop he works at in northern VA. I put this in there and it still leaked. Thinking that perhaps the assembly was not an HP assembly (I am using HPA mostly on this 'Mag), I called AGD and ordered a brand new assembly from them and was assured it would work with HPA no problems. I put it in the 'gun and tested it and it seemed to work fine.

I get to a game yesterday and the problem came back. The 'gun built up pressure, caused a hot first shot, eventually resulted in over pressurization and then leaking from the area of the velocity adjustment screw. I had it chrono'd around 280.

What am I missing here? What else could possibly be the problem here? A friend who knows a bit about 'Mags suggested a new on/off pin but I have never heard that causing these kind of problems and the pin in the 'gun appears in good shape anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Justin

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

If it's slowly building pressure, then it's most likely some dirt in the reg seat that causes it to leak. Or is it possible that you inserted the reg seat the wrong way around?

I would clean everything properly, insert some oil in the system and then test it again.
Laku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cranky Wanker

If you are in the nova area, I can take a quick look at the gun for you. He its a reg seat bleed off, it could have comprised the new piston seal. If you swing by bring your barrel the paint is so small you maybe having to over adjust the reg to get the gun to velocity.

- Robert
Old 04-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
JKR

Thanks Rob...appreciate the kind offer. I was visiting family when I stopped by the shop and picked up the reg piston. I live about six hours away but the next time I am up, I may take you up on that offer if I haven't fixed it by then!

The paint to bore match isn't the issue, fairly certain on that. I am using a .687 Lapco Autospirit (large by much of today's paint standards) and was chronoing using Valken Graffiti that I measured around the .684-.686 range. I don't think that should have caused the issue you refer to, especially since I later ran that paint through my Micromag also using a .687 Lapco with great results.

I just find it mind numbingly odd that both reg pistons that I put in there would result it the 'gun leaking. I am going to tear it apart and again clean it with a fine tooth comb and make sure there is no grit or grime stuck anywhere causing my problems. Will probably put another new reg seat in there too just to be very sure.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

They're designed to leak if you have the pressure up to high. If it's a new piston it's either a bad oring, dirt getting in the way or pressure up too high.

Once you air it up turn the regulator CCW till it stops leaking and chrono it. See where your at.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
JKR

Should have updated the thread...played last Saturday with it. Before hitting the field, I took the valve apart and inspected the inside. There were a couple of small flecks of dirt on the reg seat. I figured cleaning this would solve the problem. I did an exceptional job of cleaning and put it back together. Hit the field and all was well...for about 30 min. Then a small leak started again...not as bad as before but there.

After getting over the feeling of wanting to smash my forehead into the wall repeatedly, I tore into the valve again. No visible dirt to be found in the valve. I wiped off the area, including the reg seat and put it back together and it ran great for the next couple of hours.

Seems dirt is the culprit...well that and I am going to replace the reg seat just to be sure there aren't some small bad spots in it. Just not real sure where all the dirt is coming from...I am sort of anal about cleanliness and watch what I am doing and try to prevent andy dirt from entering any of my 'guns valve systems.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
It could be coming from your tank, possibly the air fills are dirty.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

you could get an inline filter and see if that solves the issue,

these leaks can be caused by a dirty or bad/worn reg seat as well as reg seat piston o-ring
Chronobreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
It could be coming from your tank, possibly the air fills are dirty.
I thought about that very point. I have an old Proline inline filter that I was thinking about getting the necessary hardware for and using it on my fill nipple when filling my tanks. That way I can keep dirt completely out of the system.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 04-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
JKR

Or go the easiest route and buy a Bob Long filtered fill nipple!

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs