mcarterbrown.com  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm
 
Stilgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North of 49

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
No Pro Feedneck+stickfeed+Lvl 7 = chops?

So, I have a tac one body with a No Pro CCM feedneck, classic valve with Level 7 bolt (using a 3.5oz in the VA), and a WALZ stickfeed.

And I would get chops. Not Many, but certainly a LOT more than I wanted to deal with. I would say that I would get a chop every 20-25 shots or so, bad enought that I would have to pull my barrel and try to swab out the body, feedneck and barrel...My swab was soaked halfway through the day. So were my gloves...


My question. Would a mid, or standard hight feedneck solve this issue? Would it give the balls enough room to move UP in the stack as the bolt comes forward?

Random thought...would something similar to the ASP phantom detent work in a mag? This might lift the ball in the breach just enough to keep the next one in the stack out of the way?
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
My question. Would a mid, or standard hight feedneck solve this issue? Would it give the balls enough room to move UP in the stack as the bolt comes forward?

Random thought...would something similar to the ASP phantom detent work in a mag? This might lift the ball in the breach just enough to keep the next one in the stack out of the way?
If you think it's a feed problem, I would make sure that you have a foamie-less bolt or you have a foamie in place, so that the ball can't roll back and let the stack lock up around the corner.

You can also try one of your copper pipe stick feeds to see if that makes a difference. I think that angle is not as steep at the elbow. For WALZ's feed, you could try lifting it up a little when you clamp it in, to see if that changes the stack enough to keep it from binding.

If you have a foamie, make sure it is flush with the face of the bolt. My son found some scrap bolt of mine that had a foamie that stuck out almost 1/8" from the end. It was worse than no foamie.
__________________
My Feedback
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm
 
Stilgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North of 49

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
No foamie. It is a venturi style bolt face.

I will try and lift the feed and see if that helps.

Is there something else that could caust it to chop?
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
No foamie. It is a venturi style bolt face.

I will try and lift the feed and see if that helps.

Is there something else that could caust it to chop?
I've read that the venturi bolt without the foamie can be hard on paint. One because the paint rolls back into the pocket, and also because the gas comes out right at the surface of the paint. Since dynamic gas pressure calculations involve squares (^2) that difference (the distance given by the foamie) could be significant for wimpy paint.

You could make a little one and try it out.

Your detent could be too stiff and intrusive.

Couple all of that with a short barrel and small paint for inefficient and short acceleration and the shell abuse adds up.

The problem should be somewhere between the bolt face and the detent.

Were you getting a lot of paint in the stick feed?
__________________
My Feedback
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm
 
Stilgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North of 49

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I've read that the venturi bolt without the foamie can be hard on paint. One because the paint rolls back into the pocket, and also because the gas comes out right at the surface of the paint. Since dynamic gas pressure calculations involve squares (^2) that difference (the distance given by the foamie) could be significant for wimpy paint.

You could make a little one and try it out.

Your detent could be too stiff and intrusive.

Couple all of that with a short barrel and small paint for inefficient and short acceleration and the shell abuse adds up.

The problem should be somewhere between the bolt face and the detent.

Were you getting a lot of paint in the stick feed?

All I got out of that first part is the blast of air is hard on the paint. I was using Valken Graffiti that had suffered two days of cold...that may be part of the issue.

Foamie...I will se what I have.

Cocker detent...Possibly, but a lot of paint was still making it past without issue.

12" freaked barrel. .680? insert (Ty's brass with two scribe marks...)

I was getting some paint up the feedneck. But most of it would blast out the barrel. But then the next shot or two would be really weak as if the mechanizm was all gummed up...
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Jaccen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SW Ontario

AKA Fan
If you've got the cash.........Level 10.
__________________
MCB Feedback
Please ship to me using US Postal Service when shipping to Canada.
Don't ship to Canada? No worries--I can work it out with you: US Parcel Pickup

Jaccen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
All I got out of that first part is the blast of air is hard on the paint. I was using Valken Graffiti that had suffered two days of cold...that may be part of the issue.

Foamie...I will se what I have.

Cocker detent...Possibly, but a lot of paint was still making it past without issue.

12" freaked barrel. .680? insert (Ty's brass with two scribe marks...)

I was getting some paint up the feedneck. But most of it would blast out the barrel. But then the next shot or two would be really weak as if the mechanizm was all gummed up...
The bit about the pressure is just that the force from a jet of gas isn't 1 to 1 with the distance to the tip of a nozzle. It goes up fast, so something small like having a foamie to push the ball off of the face just a little can help.

Might just be the paint sizing (lack of). We had some "winter paint" (made in Columbia!) and it varied terribly. About one in twenty was considerably larger than the rest. It took a while to figure out that we sized it small and the fat ones were blowing up in the barrel. Over bored, we would just get a velocity spike on occasion. That got it out of the barrel at least (mostly).

The cocker detent should be good.

I'm curious how it turns out. It may not be so complicated, but I can see how a ball could roll back into the bolt face, allowing the stack to come down just enough to fill in to the top of the bend in the stick feed and locking itself in. Then, both the ball fired and the one dangling down get abused. If that's the case, either lifting the feed or installing the foamie should help.
__________________
My Feedback
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
Level 10 and co2 don't mix.
It's not helpful on the efficiency, but it's supposed to work. Are you devolumized? That brings up your shot pressure as well.

I shot three pods through a plain gravity feed level 7 Saturday night without a care. It's strange how they chop, or not.

A level 10 is no fun with a bad feed either. No mess, but no shots.
__________________
My Feedback

Last edited by Spider!; 04-15-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm
 
Stilgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North of 49

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Name:  PRZ.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  124.1 KB

Not the greatest picture, but you can see how I have set the gun up. I really like it! So I really want to keep it as close to this as possible.

I will mess with the feedneck height and try to put a Foamie thing in there. Hope that helps.
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC