mcarterbrown.com

Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB>my wallet

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Why no outer bolt o-ring?

My lvl 7 classic valve ULE body mag is awesome and has been for years...but, it has a huge amount of blowback up the feedneck. If I happen to chop paint it's launched all into the hopper creating an unusable mess (this doesn't happen with any other gun I've ever owned). This question I'm sure has been asked at some point during the history of the mag, but why do mags not have an outer bolt o-ring like almost every other marker? Will the spring tear it up?

Scenario Paintball TV(SPbTV)-Paintball videos from the Northeast, South Carolina and Europe
feedback
GtrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrLvr View Post
My lvl 7 classic valve ULE body mag is awesome and has been for years...but, it has a huge amount of blowback up the feedneck. If I happen to chop paint it's launched all into the hopper creating an unusable mess (this doesn't happen with any other gun I've ever owned). This question I'm sure has been asked at some point during the history of the mag, but why do mags not have an outer bolt o-ring like almost every other marker? Will the spring tear it up?
I cant speak to why the mag does not have a front bolt o-ring but I do know that they can cause issues in other guns.

if you are chopping you may want to be sure your hopper is fast enough, you are not short stroking the trigger and that you have the newer style parabolic powerfeed.

also paint to barrel match and detent condition can play a factor in chops as well
Chronobreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Here is some AO entertainment.
Efficiency mods?

Have you fired your mag with no loader and an extra ball in the feedneck? See how high the second ball goes. I usually find they don't have as much blowback as they crush the snot out of a ball (especially with the old feed plug).
Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB>my wallet

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
No powerfeed, it's a vert feed ULE body. The chops are definitely my fault, trying to shoot too fast with my revy. It's rare but annoying when it does happen since the hopper requires immediate cleaning.
So I see it can be done, I suppose I'll have to take one of these extra bolts and try it. Of course I'll have to figure out why my valve is suddenly leaking down the barrel now.

Scenario Paintball TV(SPbTV)-Paintball videos from the Northeast, South Carolina and Europe
feedback
GtrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrLvr View Post
No powerfeed, it's a vert feed ULE body. The chops are definitely my fault, trying to shoot too fast with my revy. It's rare but annoying when it does happen since the hopper requires immediate cleaning.
So I see it can be done, I suppose I'll have to take one of these extra bolts and try it. Of course I'll have to figure out why my valve is suddenly leaking down the barrel now.
There was some question about the long term durability of the o-rings, which I think was indicated by TK. If you don't mind replacing them, it seems OK.

I've had some wild size variations in paint lately. I'm not sure that all of my barrels are 689 like were when I had fewer of them. you might try a different barrel in f you haven't already.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

My cocker bolt o-rings always seemed to get destroyed by the detents. After a while I just stopped putting them on there.

I would think a large complication with o-rings on L7's was actually the variation in sizes and seating of a twist-lock barrel/breech. Things might be more consistent and doable on a ULE body.

If you get data on it, that'd be interesting. Hill wasn't very good at that part.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs