mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
While we are talking about detents, how far should they be screwed in. As in how much of the ball should be visable in the breach. I know that you don't want to screw them to far in because the bolt can shoot the detent out from hitting it.
The less you screw them in, the better, as you might say. The best start I've found is to put a force feed loader on the body with some paint, and set the detents to hold that. If your test paint is large, that can become a problem later. Some reballs would be the smallest setup.

The ball housing is the main limit. Just don't let it touch the bolt. At the edge of "too far", you will get a little scratch down the side of the bolt and a small flat on the detent housing. That is when "rebuild-able" detents come in handy because you can adjust the tension on the ball with shims or magnets.

When you set it up, check how far you have before you see the detent housing in the bore. Then, if you mark the detent, you'll know how much play you have left when you get a case of silly-small paint.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs