mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Classic Valve prob

I've been having trouble with my mag for a while. I will freely admit I know just about nothing about them but here it goes. I have a classic valve with the tourney velocity adjuster on it. It was shooting high so I opened it up and turned down the adjuster and replaced the lock. When I cranked the lock down enough to get the marker to air up it just shot air out of the back of the valve. If I turn it down so it doesn't do that it either shoots hot or won't air up. I think the problem is the spring pack but I'm not sure ( I ordered one anyway I don't want my mag down because I lost the stupid thing).
So the questions are?
Am I looking in the right area?
What else should I do?
Thanks
Tug
Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

if i am remembering correctly, it may mean that you've backed the adjustment screw out too far, try using 1/16th turn increments.

If not, i believe it would be either the spring pack or the reg pin, most likely the spring pack.

Are you feeding this thing HPA or CO2? sometimes the valves will vent out the back if liquid CO2 gets into them, or they get cruddied up with CO2 gunk from dirty CO2.

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

From the Mag training video it was mentioned that the functional range of adjustments to go from too hot to well under is only a turn or two and that if you adjust the adjuster to outside of that range it can often make the gun stop firing at all and just do odd things.

But something else bothers me here. You took off the tourney lock and adjusted the "adjuster".... did this involve removing the back screw and spring pack by any chance? I only ask because you mentioned the pack. If you adjusted the part that's under the spring pack then that is the overpressure safety relief valve that isn't supposed to be adjusted. The actual pressure setting screw that controls the reg's output pressure and thus the shooting velocity is the one that cups around the back of the spring pack. Normally adjusting the pressure and thus the velocity doesn't require you to "open it up".

You may want to download and watch the Automag owner's video. It's well worth the few hundred meg of bandwidth and time.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Railgun, that's exactly what I did. I'll get the video when I'm home from the boat. What made me think it was a spring pack was that the Tourney lock was almost screwed all the way in and the marker still wasn't getting air.

WT- I'm using HPA.
Thanks both of you
Tug
Old 11-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

If was in that far and still not getting air then something is wrong with your valve pin. Check the video and you'll get all the info you need to strip it down and check all the stuff.
miracle in some small way.........

Last edited by Railgun; 11-15-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Tug, If it's an old mag the spring pack is probably gunked up. Remove the whole assembly out of the rear of the regulator.

The screw, the springpack, and the cylinder thingie (Technical term) the spring pack sits in.

Remove the o-ring around the cylinder. Clean all the parts with some kind of grease killer or alcohol. Even the springpack. Regrease the springpack with something thicker than regular paint lube. (I used dow 33.. but that's just cause I had it sitting there). Put on a new o-ring. Grease the o-ring. put back together.

The springpack is probably fine. but nothing wrong with throwing in a new one.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-17-2007 at 11:36 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just a heads up, when working on that, start with a clean workbench... there's only like 5 moving parts, but 15 seals... complex simplicity. You wouldn't want to lose any of the tiny little bits that are in there. Remember, the valve is the whole of the gun... Regulator, valve and bolt, all in that tiny package. Beautifully designed, easy enough to work on, but some small parts in there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
But what it all comes down to is if your having fun. If your not having fun playing against people using full auto with a pump, then switch to a semi; fun is the only thing that really matters in paintball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrtal View Post
rub their little faces right in their own piss while yelling NO NO NO as loud as you can while smacking them on the back of the head.
spawnsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

open 'er up
lube everything with some synthetic airtool oil
wipe down any excess with some q-tips
reset the rear velocity to ~ 1/8th-1/4 of an inch exposed

it worked well last night on a rear leaking micromag valve that i received yesterday
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

Send a message via AIM to BigEvil

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PBN Fan
If im understanding you correctly, you are venting out of the back before you reach the appropriate velocity?

If so - you need to replace the reg piston. This was a common problem when HPA first hit the scene. The physics of co2 and hpa differ, so the older pistons have issues when using hpa.

OR

You can take the piston out, secure it without marring it, and give that big allen screw inside the piston about a 1/4 turn clockwise. If that doesnt do it, give it another 1/4 turn.

BigEvil's MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil
We don't want to actually hurt you, we just want to mess with you a bit...
BigEvil is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs