mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

Sydarm

Got to fondle my first sydarm the other day and I was quite impressed with the feel. Was wondering if anyone has had success with making a sydarm type pistol from a regular 'mag and a feed magazine from a zeus or overlord?

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to badkarma

Hmmm, interesting concept.

I like the looks of the sydarm. I have got to try one sometime or just get one myself.
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
terrible speller

Send a message via AIM to knightmare96

i think

There was something similar to that Idea posted on automags.org not long ago. the guy had managed to attach a spring feed to the top and put a 12-gram adapter. only downside to doing it that way I see is that you still have to run hose.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

Yes I agree I would probably start with micro hose and then go to a hard line if that seems to work well. You can pick up a mini or reg mag for around $100. Sydarms usually cannot be had in decent shape under $275-300. I would also like to have a 10 round mag instead of the 8 round on the Sydarm. I was also wondering what body would be the best to try this on. SS is hard to cut, hence the normal bodies would be hard to cut the feed off of. Maybe a micromag with the power feed removed, then you could use cocker barrels. Then you have the choice of right or left feed. Or if you get a ULE or CF body you could go right on top. Then again a warp body feeding directly from the side may not be a bad choice either. Lots of options out there.

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I saw that wonderful piece, you can search AO for 'tinymag' or 'phantomag' and find it I believe.
It was simple and sweet, cut off a center feed and attach hooks for a 10rd PTX magazine(I liked the round look of the PTX mag with the round body) and then attach a quick change to the vertical ASA.
I've thought of making a micromag-type 1piecebody with the magazine and barrel built in, like a 2tube zeus body, but never got the money freed up to try it.

Rob
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
terrible speller

Phantom Mag thats it, the guy who did it sold it not too long ago I believe.

I understand why the sydarm has its apeal, believe me I love mags. Have you held/considered a Tiberius 8? Nothing I have ever shot (pistol wise) compares. It is an amazing pistol. (praying they come out with a longer clip here soon too.)
Old 04-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
terrible speller

Just saw this over on stockclass forums. Not exactly great but...
Thought I'd share anyways:
http://invisionfree.com/forums/Stock...howtopic=13672
Old 04-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

that's the body of it, or one just like it.

I like the TAG8, I've played some indoor games using a friend's and it's a real toe-hitter out to 30-40 feet, as accurate out of the box as any gun I've shot, but the cost of magazines is prohibitive for me. I'd like that gun better if the magazine was just for paint with a co2 quick-change under the barrel like a tac-light. The speed of reloading is fine, especially if you use a dumppouch to eject mags into instead of handling them, but once you run out of loaded mags a splatmaster has more firepower.
For me, though, it's like the difference between a polymer glock 45 and a colt 45, both are fun to shoot, but all the pride and history are in the colt. I would buy a sydarm first. I still see a few of the new Sydarms for sale, but I've been saving all my cash until after the SPE weekend(Never know what I'll see and have to have ) I'd like to run with my zeus and a sydarm once in a while(I use my zeus/P68SC all the time now).

Rob
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
terrible speller

Agreed on the history of the sydarm 100 % (watch whitewolf's website for some upgrades that might make your Tib 8 complaints obsolete) But since this post isnt about compairing the two guns, I'll let it get back on topic.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have like 4 sydarms (2 old style 2 new style) They're all great. I like using them as back up for scenario's or my main when I feel like playing light with a semi.
I also got a Tag8 - havn't got it on the field yet but I'm pretty excited to do so soon. You gotta have at least 2 extra clips for that if you have one other wise there's no point to the cool factor it has with the mag swap.

I still see sydarms here and there but I think I've hit my personal quota, I can't justify buying anymore.

I think Phantomag is one of the best mag mods I've seen so far. There are all kinds of threads on automag.org about these types of guns. Since not everyone can afford an actual sydarm and some would just rather try to make one for fun.

I may be one of the fortunate few that possess these. But I also know that there are alot of people out there with just as many or more sydarms than myself.
I've seen some go for $300 on ebay. That's one of the better places to score one. Occassionally you can spot one on stockclasspaintball.com but you'll see a palmer squall there more often than the sydarm. Squall are pretty cool to. Maybe another option to think about. I'm not sure why I don't have one of those yet. I might get one some day.

One thing I can say when I whip out my sydarm...... Everyone ooohhs and Aaahs. That's one thing I like.
Demonio is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs