mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

Stange X-Valve Leak

I have a ULE X-Valve Automag with ULT. It has the standard main spring (gold/brass color) and I am using a SHP tank reg (but have also used a 850psi tank reg with the same results). The trigger r/t's pretty dang easily with 3 shims in the ULT and I am considering taking some of the shims out. I think it is using a #2 carrier and no shims in the powertube.

The Problem: It leaks out the pressure relief hole on the left side of the gun, just forward of the "X" on the valve when the velocity is decreased. When the velocity is above 300fps the leak goes away. The velocity varies pretty widely from 300 to 340fps and I have seen it go as low as 258fps. I have gotten it to stabilize between 300-320fps without a leak. I was wondering if the wide variation of velocity was a symptom, but I think it is more due to adjusting the velocity and allowing the reg to set in. More oil? More shooting to let it adjust?

How do I get this gun to shoot at a legal velocity and not leak? Any clues on where to start looking/what orings to look at would be appreciated.

Does the carrier need shims? Less shims on the ULT? Or, as I dread, is it in the reg? I took the silver housing off the back end, but I don't have a strap wrench for the front half. If anyone knows an easy way to take apart the front end of an x-valve reg, suggestions would be appreciated.

I had just been over this gun with a fine tooth comb and thought I had worked out all the gremlins, but no such luck. I'd like to use this in a game in about 2 weeks, so I'd like to get it ironed out soon. Thanks for the help.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

check your reg piston o rings, venting out that hole is usually the piston. if they look good take them off and clean/oil them anyway. I have had microscopic pieces of something cause this problem on several of my RT valves.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

^^is the "reg piston" the same as the "reg pin assy" (#30), in which case the oring would be the "reg seat oring" (#31) or I guess the orings are unlisted and are the orings on the reg pin (#30)?

funny enough I have a spare reg pin assy (#30) in my parts kit.. now to get the reg apart....

How do I get the back halve of the valve open without scratching the dickens out of it?
EDIT: ok, I can stop being a hypochondriac about getting the valve apart--I used a wood dowel in the spot where the on/off goes and...my hand. I usually have such a tough time getting some things apart I end up over doing it and damaging them with tools.

now I should be able to track down the orings. so far they look good, but I know looks can be deceiving.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:

Last edited by Legolas; 03-20-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I got my valve open with my bare hands.

You can try using a towel with a vise grip.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

my x-valve loves me. Just cleaned it out, replaced the reg pin and reg seat holder (because the existing ones looked suspect and I happen to have those parts in my kit), and, of course, gave it the one thing every 'mag really wants--plenty of high grade pneumatic tool oil.

no leaks, plenty fast on the trigger and right in the range for field legal velocity.

only question--it seems to have a surprising range of velocity. Is this just a matter of letting orings/parts seat in? Should I dry fire it a bunch? Shoot a 1/4 case through it when I get to the field before playing?

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 03-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
my x-valve loves me. Just cleaned it out, replaced the reg pin and reg seat holder (because the existing ones looked suspect and I happen to have those parts in my kit), and, of course, gave it the one thing every 'mag really wants--plenty of high grade pneumatic tool oil.

no leaks, plenty fast on the trigger and right in the range for field legal velocity.

only question--it seems to have a surprising range of velocity. Is this just a matter of letting orings/parts seat in? Should I dry fire it a bunch? Shoot a 1/4 case through it when I get to the field before playing?
The wide range of velocities is usually from the same problem you were experiencing. You might need to let it seat in but usually not. Once you had put it back together it should have been plus or minus a very small amount. I'd say that theres still schmutz in the reg and you would do well by opening it up again and cleaning once more.
adam45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's good to remember that most common cause for large velocity fluctuation is inconsistent paint size/shape and bore matching.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

while I won't discount the possibility of it needing further cleaning, I think you may have hit the nail on the head Laku--I was using 2+ year old paint and a .687 freak insert (specifically used larger bore in hopes of decreasing the likelihood of barrel brakes). Thanks for the reminder. Hopefully whatever the paint I use soon will be better quality and give a more realistic depiction of the consistency of which I know this gun is capable.

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Make sure you are chronoing it properly. Hold trigger back, release and shoot, hold trigger back.
Tunaman5 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs