mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Departing the world of mags

So I'm getting older and playing a lot less. I have played 1 time in 2 years and have 3 markers. I went back and forth on what to keep...

1)Stock class Phantom with 2 parts kits for pimp pistol or rifle and 3x o-ring rebuild kits.

2) Empire Mini with 10x o-rings, 2x parts including ASA, celenoid, bolts, and boards.

3) ULE Mag with classic level 7 valve, lube, and 2x o-ring rebuild kits.

My wife wants to take the kids to Disney in 6 months. I need to raise money for that and decided that if I was to sell one of the markers, the mag had the highest value. However I have only played the mag in the last 2 years.

The mini's value is the lowest. At best I'd get 40% of the value I spent on that marker. Plus I can configure the mini to shoot 5 bps to 20, a range no other marker in the stable has.

The Phantom is my budget baller and I like stock class now the most with some of the guys on here. I went out last time playing stock class, shot 12 shots, took out 4 guys in 6 games, and was able to be more active in taking objectives.

Here is why I think selling my mag over my mini is a better solution...

1) My mag works without to much tinkering. The mini has moments where I have to pull the trigger 5-10 times to get it to start.

2) The value of a ULE classic mag (estimate $200) is higher than a mini ($150) and is more commonly searched after than cheaper electrics.

3) Upgrading a mag can be fun and easy with the setup I have, with a new valve, and has better internet support than Empire. Empire was acquired and I'm uncertain of their support.

So what do you think? Is selling the mag the best option for value?
SomeGuyFromPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
If you like stock class why not just sell not the mag and the mini? If you feel like playing semi just slap a tank on the phantom and auto trigger it up haha
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...feed-back.html
killerito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I personally would sell the mini over the mag, primarily because I am not a fan of the earlier generations of the mini. The bolt stick is normal on them at startup after long periods of storage (had to open my share of mini noids) and I flat out dont like the Invert/Empire relays as they creep after a while and require a special tool to open them up.

If it were a Mini GS I may hold on to it over the mag but not by much, this is coming from someone who has decided mags dont like me

Also, try selling the Mini for $180. You have 6 months and you never know, someone may be willing to offer you more . Also it looks like you have plenty of extra parts, if you sell some of them separately instead of all together you may get more.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I PM you
Scottprocurot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Replied.

Here is a pic...

Old 11-10-2017, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Here a while

My two cents (for what its worth) keep the phantom and the mag. Are they the higher value items that you have listed? Short of just the right buyer, Yes most likely. But if you plan on continuing to play paintball they are also in my opinion the more versital and reliable markers that tend to retain thier value more than the mini will over time in the event that you would want to sell them at a later time. Food for thought.
darknite667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
The bolt stick is normal on them at startup after long periods of storage (had to open my share of mini noids) and I flat out dont like the Invert/Empire relays as they creep after a while and require a special tool to open them up.

As you elude to, it's really not bolt stick, but noid stick. The little inline noid they use is prone to it. I have found that occasionally taking it apart and lightly greasing the little poppet inside did wonders for them. Sometimes it's board related as well. I know some of the early boards were actually replaced due to issue. I virtued mine and the issue went away. My thought was to a poor capacitor selection on the stock board build.

Given how hard it will be to replace the mag, and how often you play with it, sell the others. In the long run the extra what, perhaps $100 or so is easy enough to squeeze out somewhere else. Take a bag lunch from now till the vaca and you will have MORE than you need and keep all the markers.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I believe the Mag still is my best option to sell because of its value. It's not going up any more than it already has and the interest online is there.

If I play again, it won't be till 2018 and maybe a pump game by the.

I may list the mini on PB Nation next.

Stock class pump might be my only marker.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
As you elude to, it's really not bolt stick, but noid stick.
Yeppers! Good clarification
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyFromPitt View Post
Stock class pump might be my only marker.
You can easily take the phantom to open-class pump if you wish.
If you're set on selling the mag, just make sure to sell the mini, too. There's no reason to hang on to that particular marker.

If I didn't like mags so much, I would only have my phantom.
bowcycle is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs