mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pregnant Dude

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Alright Fellas! Nudge Me.

So, Deep down I've always wanted a Mag. However they were always a little out of my price range. I've been told that mags don't run well on CO2, and compressed air setups are also a little too pricey for me. Recently I 've noticed that the brand new Pro Classic Mags from AGD are just a hair over $200. That's close to what I payed for my A-5, which although I am happy with, is just a bit shy of being my perfect marker.

So if you would like to, help give me a push off the AGD cliff. Hit me with enough positive spin that I run out and get one.
Can I run CO2 successfully?
Am I better off with a brand new Pro Classic, or should I hunt down an older model?

These are things I must figure out before my jump.

Thanks,
Roth

Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

The pro classic is really the same exact thing as older models. Just pick up a used Auto or Minimag, they go for around $80+ depending on what you want on it. If you want to run co2 an expansion chamber will make it work just fine, or giving plenty of expansion in the tank will also help (like a 20oz filled 1/2 way) keep liquid out even without the use of an expansion chamber. Also, albiet awkward, running co2 off the vertical adaptor works well too.

Also for the price of that pro classic you could have a used 'mag with a nice compressed air tank too.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just run a anti-sypthon<sp> on the tank and expantion chamber or remote and your golden dude!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Go mag.

You won't go back. Get a used one (how much can someone actually damage something that is stainless steel and carbon fiber??) and put a L10 kit in it.

Runs just fine on CO2, and full mechanical anti-chop that actually works. I have single-handedly maggerized most of my team.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

I've been running my classic 'Mag on CO2 for a long time. Runs fine with expansion chamber and/or remote.

Two upgrades you might want to do though, Intelliframe double finger trigger and a Level 10 anti chop bolt. You can get a nice used classic with both of these for under $200.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
I have ran my Minimag on co2 for years now. I have never had a problem that wasn't fixed by me taking the air off the gun and letting it warm up. And that was only once on a very cold day.

Buy used. It will be cheaper, and like someone said above, how can you break a mag? I'd look at the site below and you should find a good deal on a mag in no time.

www.automags.org
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

only thing i would look for in addition to the level 10 anti-chop is for a decent regulator between the Co2 and the AIR reg/valve on the mag. it's a better way of ensuring no liquid Co2 than an expansion chamber.

check out ebay right now. there's at least 5 mags on there, and a couple package deals, all well under $200.

--joel
joelrf600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've run Classic Mags for years on Co2, with an anti-siphon tank. It works great...

Walker
"Where You Wrap Up the Day, With Beer and Bengay!"

Nelson Owner's Group
My Feedback!
Blue Nights Barrel 4 Sale
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
PJ
Retired from paintball

Send a message via AIM to PJ

I ran my original MiniMag on CO2 before HPA/N2 was around. It'll run fine. Mags are one of thevery few guns that you can literally lightly clean/oil it, wipe the barrel out after a day's play (assuming you even had a break, but good idea to get the oils from the paintballs out anyway) and set it aside for the next game day. On game day, add some oil to the ASA, put the tank on, and roll. I never, EVER had any problems with my old Mag, which is why I asked my wife to get me a Mini for Christmas this past year (and got it).

My old Mag setup was using a remote line to a 20oz tank on my backpack, so that helped with any CO2 issues as well.

AIM: PJDarknight
CPPA #1145 / PPIG #496 / LPPC #103 / POG #1047 / Team Rogue Cell #7
PJ's Gallery on MCB
Feedback on MCB
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelrf600r View Post
only thing i would look for in addition to the level 10 anti-chop is for a decent regulator between the Co2 and the AIR reg/valve on the mag. it's a better way of ensuring no liquid Co2 than an expansion chamber.

check out ebay right now. there's at least 5 mags on there, and a couple package deals, all well under $200.

--joel

I wouldn't suggest this unless you are wanting to buy some sort of Stabilizer, which will up the bill atleast $60. Even then, I saw no real difference when I switched my ex chamber for a Stab. That's why I sold the Stab.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs