mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Stupid mag/pneumag questions.

I'm trying to do the dance to get a pneu-mag built and have a couple of questions. I'm sure they're silly, but I want to make sure I'm thinking correctly.

Can a y-frame be pneutered? I love my y-frame and don't want to give it up when I do this, but I don't think I've ever seen a y-pneu.

Is there a real difference (other than weight) between an emag/rt pro valve and an X-valve. I know the X-valve is aluminum but is there any other major difference?

ULT, is there any point?

What is the difference between a regular AM/MM sear and an RT sear? When I get an RT/X-valve, will I need a new sear, or will one of my AM sears work?

Thanks for looking, and I'm sorry if the questions are too spastic.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The AM/MM series was the rail designation. I believe it is Automag/ Minimag, but don't hold me to it. The sear will work as long as you have that rail. But you cannot use an AM/MM sear with am RT/ Xvalve rail.

The y frame should be compatable with the Pneumag. The only difference is how you set the pneumatics up.

The difference between the RT valves is nothing as far as I know. Just material and weight.

I see no point in the ULT with the pneumag, but of course I could be wrong. The logic I see behind it is that the pneumatics already "pull" the trigger. So there is no need to make the trigger .5 ounces. I could be wrong though.
ravenlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks. AM/AA does stand for automag/minimag, but I didn't know if the sears fit the rails, or the valves. Thanks for clearing that up. I was hoping someone could point me to a y-gripped pneu mag. I'm sure it will work, I'm I'm kind of paranoid that I don't see more of them.

Thanks for the answers. They help a lot.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
Thanks. AM/AA does stand for automag/minimag, but I didn't know if the sears fit the rails, or the valves. Thanks for clearing that up. I was hoping someone could point me to a y-gripped pneu mag. I'm sure it will work, I'm I'm kind of paranoid that I don't see more of them.

Thanks for the answers. They help a lot.
You don't see more of them because most people have no interest in having their hand in such an awkward position. It appeals to people who want to play really tight to a bunker in Airball.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

There's a pnue y and z in this thread; as well as a bunch of other pnues.
mstrdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Actually, Darkstar, I play regularly with my y-grip. And all I play is rec-ball and scenario. As long as I'm not trying to run and shoot one handed, or something else spastic like that, it's the most comfortable grip-frame I have.

Thanks for the pictures, mstrdbz. Thats just the sort of thing I wanted to see.

And that z-grip is pure hotness.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Hence why I used the word most. There's always someone who likes something, that someone else doesn't. I stand by my statement of it being awkward. There's a reason firearms grips are slanted the way the are, and there's a reason you've never seen a firearm with a "Y" or a "Z" grip.

Besides, you asked why you don't see more of them... If you like it obviously you were looking for a dissenting opinion. Some people like them, most people don't.

Although, I'd love to hear what you like about it besides the ability to get really tight up against a bunker (Or possibly hold the gun like a rocker launcher on your shoulder)

-MR

Quote:
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

I like them because I can shoulder the marker using the tank like a stock and fire much more comfortably than I can with a .45 grip or similar. Placing the tank there makes shooting a standard grip awkward unless you kick your elbow way out to the side. Placing the tank there also brings the marker up in front of my face and lets me sight down the body/barrel without hunching over to do so. Being able to keep a comfortable vertical line of elbow/wrist/gun and not have to lean my head way over to aim, makes sense to me. By the amount of 90 degree frames out there, I thought it did to a lot of people.

I would say that firearm grips don't really matter when you talk about the comfortableness of a paintball gun grip. My paintball trigger group sits much closer to me than a firearm trigger group does. What is comfortable for one is not comfortable for the other necessarily. My 007? Sure i hold and shoot it like a pistol. An A-5 with a stock makes sense because I shoot it like a rifle. Most other paintball guns, however, fall somewhere between the two extremes in weight, size, and application, so to me a different setup makes sense there.

And I asked the question not for dissenting opinions, but because I was worried that pneu'ing couldn't be done to the reverse 45. Stupid worry I know, but I had to ask.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Sorry, I guess I misread your question.

The answer to your clarified question "Why don't I see more Y Grip Pneuframes?" is because there aren't that many Y Grips to begin with. The vast majority of Mag toter's have a standard 45 grip, with the next largest group being custom 90s. Good luck with your project. Be sure to post up some pics of the internals when your done, I'm sure it'll be informative for other reverse grip owners.

-MR

Quote:
Old 03-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

With ULT, you can lower the pressure of your lpr, which will reduce the weight of your trigger pull because the 2(3)-way has less pressure behind it.

The sear pin is smaller on the RT pro than the AM/MM sear pin. The sears are not interchangeable.

I say go for it with the Y-frame. I've wanted to try one, but never have had the opportunity.

My Feedback
MrJR is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs