mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Try backing your bottle out of the ASA a half turn, the pin depressor may be blocking the port on your tank.

Do you have a reg installed? remove it, you don't need it ( the back half of the automag is a regulator).

If it leaks down the barrel when the trigger is not pulled, and stops when you pull the trigger, you need to replace the power tube oring. I'm not entirely sure but a weak power tube spring ( if it does not have a spacer) may cause this issue as well.

If none of that work, strip the reg and on/off assembly and clean it really well ( remember to oil it up on reassembly) It may just be gunged up with many years of oil and dirt.

Go watch the tom kaye automag troubleshooting videos on youtube! The 4 videos will give you everything you need to know about troubleshooting your mag. You can skip the xvalve and level 10 bolt videos for now ( unless thats what you have)
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
suns out guns out

Send a message via AIM to freebird

CCM Fan
does your marker have a LVL 10 bolt system or a lvl 7?
TEAM CAPTAIN - UPSTATE HATE
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Fuel'd by Diesel fuel, Miller High Life, Gunpowder, and Red Meat.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
does your marker have a LVL 10 bolt system or a lvl 7?
What kind of gas system do you have?

Got pics?

Sounds like a CO2 mag with the velocity turned way down.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Just my 2 cents but I have been working on an older mag for some time now. I recently replaced my trigger frame with an aftermarket one (which now that it is installed I realized "may" be of questionable quality). With the new trigger frame there is a little "slop" in the rear field strip screw hole. This actually allows the regand power tube assembly to slide back from the body about a sixteenth of an inch. Basically when I assemble the marker and then air it up all is fine but after I shoot 3 to 5 times the main body and reg "settle in" under pressure and then it leaks down the barrel. I would check this as well because I spent alot of frustrating weeks trying to figure out why I was leaking down the barrel.
The Hat 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hat 22 View Post
Just my 2 cents but I have been working on an older mag for some time now. I recently replaced my trigger frame with an aftermarket one (which now that it is installed I realized "may" be of questionable quality). With the new trigger frame there is a little "slop" in the rear field strip screw hole. This actually allows the regand power tube assembly to slide back from the body about a sixteenth of an inch. Basically when I assemble the marker and then air it up all is fine but after I shoot 3 to 5 times the main body and reg "settle in" under pressure and then it leaks down the barrel. I would check this as well because I spent alot of frustrating weeks trying to figure out why I was leaking down the barrel.
You forgot to put the rail bushing in.
My Feedback
Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
How much of a gap is there between body and valve? That was an issue with mine. Too much space and it leaked and wouldn't cycle.

[EDIT]

Dukie got it, thats what caused the space in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hey Dukie, I purchased mine in a "well USED" condition and it didn't have anything (bushing or washer??) at the field strip screw location. I looked on AGD and didn't see anything there either. What I ended up doind to cure the issue was to make a Field Strip Screw "Bushing?" out of 1/4" aluminum tubing that I slipped into the holes of the trigger frame and main rail and then slid the screw up through that into the reg. It has so far worked very well. There may have been one of these in the design but I was completely unaware of it.
Probably trying to re-invent the dang wheel.
The Hat 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

ok the valve is about a six teenth of an inch too far back so i think that may be it
too bad i dont have any air so i'll have to wait a little while
also i have air, not c02, i cant speak for the past owner
I have a fairly good understanding of mags but i have no idea what a rail bushing is
is it in a rebuild kit? if it is im in good luck
while i have a thread here
how do i remove the nubbin that keeps the barrel on with the classic bodies?
im try to make this a spydermag and i dont want to buy ult until its finished and that nubbin obstructs the frame from fitting

Last edited by 1cheeselova; 02-26-2009 at 04:59 PM.
1cheeselova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Sasquatchian

I don't think the rail bushing is in the seal rebuild kit. Its one of those things you just start watching for if you own a Mag. Seems a lot of guns have those little parts that you can loose very easily and that can totally render a gun useless.

I would just call AGD and order one, if it is missing. I would think they have some around, or try the fix that a member mentioned a few posts back.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
You will see the rail bushing about halfway down the page:

Automags UK, your automag, minimag, automag RT, X Mag and E Mag resource

It goes in the rail where the rear thumbscew goes through. It sticks out of the rail and into the rear grip frame screw hole to line everything up. If its missing, your valve will not sit in the body correctly!

A piece of aluminum tubing will do the trick, so long as it fits snugly in the rail and grip frame and the thumb screw is not sloppy inside.
My Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs