mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   Rt trouble shooting... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/7832-rt-trouble-shooting.html)

bacci paintball 12-14-2006 12:15 AM

Rt trouble shooting...

I am working on an old style rt mag and have it shooting without the barrel on but once I stick the barrel on it wont cycle. I stuck a few barrels on it but it didn't work with the other barrels on it either.

I was thinking it could be the spring or the bolt but I don't have a lot of knowledge about mags so that is just my guess.

Also I was wondering what the purpose of the powertube spacers are? Are they just to restrict air flow through the powertube and act as velocity adjusters or do they have another purpose also?

Thanks for any help or corrections!
-Dan

Rainman229 12-14-2006 12:43 AM

if you have a spare bolt. try it. had something simlar to that a while ago on a classic. some how the bolt was messed up. but it looked fine. change the bolt and i was done.

spacers ? good question. i would like to know too. never got to far in to blow forwards.

Robertsr 12-14-2006 02:13 AM

The spacers adjust the length of the powertube on a micro scale. It's a final piece of fine tuning to replace the bronze spring that was a wear item. If you have an old spacer kit, you'll see that they are every so slightly different lengths.

bacci paintball 12-16-2006 08:40 PM

Thanks guys, although I am somewhat confused now.
So do the powertube spacers adjust velocity?
I am going to try just swapping around springs and bolts on the rt tonight.
-Dan

Robertsr 12-18-2006 09:14 AM

The spacers don't really have anything to do with velocity. They fine tune the length of the powertube on a micro scale, not a macro. It's more for setting up the relationship of the bolt piston (the rod inside the bolt) to the length of the powertube for more reliable operation. I think that the spacers are graded in thousandths.

In my experience the .220 is the most often used spacer (I don't recall off the top of my head what color that would be if you are using a benchmark set... red, I THINK), and you can adjust up or down from there to get the right fit. Since you aren't cycling with a barrel on I would guess that yours is adjusted with too big a spacer, and you need to go down.

DarkStar 12-18-2006 12:25 PM

To expand on what Rob said.

The powertube spacers adjust the point where the bolt no longer seals the dump chamber, allowing you to adjust the fireing point in relation to the on/off actuation.

-MR

bacci paintball 12-19-2006 03:16 PM

Thanks a ton guys. I got it shooting, not sure what the exact problem was since I tried about 30 different things including changing the powertube spacers, the piston, the rail, main spring, bolt, and many other things.
What effect would different length springs have on the bolt?
Thanks again,
-Dan

Robertsr 12-19-2006 05:54 PM

A longer spring means that you have to turn the velocity up higher to get the marker to cycle. The blow forward action compresses that spring when you dump the reg to start your firing cycle, so a longer spring means that you have to release a higher pressure to push the bolt forward. You can easily get a spring so long that the overpressure releif will vent before you can successfully fire the marker.

BigEvil 01-02-2007 08:01 PM

Are you still having problems? Hit me up on email at BigEvil@bigevilonline.com and I will see if I can help you out.

:D