mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Question Questions about my minimag

Ok, so the video tape I converted to digital and put on youtube came with a minimag

I have some questions about it...

1) The serial number is MM19545. About how old is this marker? The numbers seem to match.

2) The word "Minimag" on the valve and regulator portions of the back end do not line up perfectly. Is this a problem? Could the valve and regulator be out of alignment

3) When I aired up the minimag for the first time, the fittings were leaking. I took it apart to tighten them down, and I noticed that the bolt does not have any sort of rubber or foam that I have read about on its face. Instead, it was slightly concave. Is this a newer bolt design, or do I need to put a foamie/bumper/whatever on the bolt? What level bolt does this marker have?

4) I expected velocities to be fairly consistent because I am using HPA at 750psi as the powersource. However, my first test shots seemed to be about +/-10. Is there a break-in period for the regulator, like with other regulators, or is it possible that the seals became dried out or something while the minimag sat in storage for years?

Last edited by sdawg; 01-15-2007 at 03:32 PM.
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to doicomehereoften Send a message via MSN to doicomehereoften

It probably just needs a rebuild to solve most of those problems. You can buy the foamies, but depending on the bolt, they may not work (like a PTP upgrade bolt won't work with them). Best to show us what it looks like. As far as the age, you can typically contact AGD to get that info, or the AGD owners group probably has someone in the know.
I'm really not good at writing signatures. I mean, what is it that you're really trying to do? Write something that somebody's actually going to remember, or even read? Yeah right! Nobody ever actually reads these things.
doicomehereoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
Ok, so the video tape I converted to digital and put on youtube came with a minimag

I have some questions about it...

1) The serial number is MM19545. About how old is this marker? The numbers seem to match.

2) The word "Minimag" on the valve and regulator portions of the back end do not line up perfectly. Is this a problem? Could the valve and regulator be out of alignment

3) When I aired up the minimag for the first time, the fittings were leaking. I took it apart to tighten them down, and I noticed that the bolt does not have any sort of rubber or foam that I have read about on its face. Instead, it was slightly concave. Is this a newer bolt design, or do I need to put a foamie/bumper/whatever on the bolt? What level bolt does this marker have?

4) I expected velocities to be fairly consistent because I am using HPA at 750psi as the powersource. However, my first test shots seemed to be about +/-10. Is there a break-in period for the regulator, like with other regulators, or is it possible that the seals became dried out or something while the minimag sat in storage for years?
1) my automag serial number is 18xxx and i bought it in '94.

2) that's totally normal. not a problem at all.

3) you have the foamieless bolt, which was an upgrade to the bolt that used a foamy.

4) could need some new seals. make sure the face of the regulator seal is clean and the little spring thing is clean. also, when adjusting velocity, turn the adjuster in very small increments.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

3: Old bolts had "foamies"...newer level 7 bolts did not. However, the newest level 10 bolts DO have foamies again.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:

2 - You don't have to screw the two halves together until they are tight you can stop when the halves line up & it won't affect performance.

3 - Concave as in rounded & cupped to fit a paintball (which would indicate an aftermaket bolt) or concave as in the center part is recessed from the edge as if there is place for a foamy but it's missing?
To the best of my knowledge the AGD bolts all have three somewhat triangular holes in the front that pass the air to the paintball. If the bolt has a circle of round holes & a cupped front it's an aftermarket one.

4 - If your reg was leaking you would get a hot first shot after waiting 30 seconds or so but shots w/i a second or so of each other would be lower.
More likely than not the reg needs some oil or break in time.
Surestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I took the minimag apart and put it back together again (thanks for the training video, Tom Kaye). The Minimag laser etching now lines up properly.

I think everything is fine, the reg seat probably just needs to break in. Also, I read in the automag manual that all minimags have the level 7 bolt, which is what I have.
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
The Minimag laser etching now lines up properly.
you'll notice after you air up the gun that the laser etching will not be lined up anymore. it's totally normal.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to doicomehereoften Send a message via MSN to doicomehereoften

Is there a "tolerance" regarding how far off the lines can be before you should worry, or adjust it?
I'm really not good at writing signatures. I mean, what is it that you're really trying to do? Write something that somebody's actually going to remember, or even read? Yeah right! Nobody ever actually reads these things.
doicomehereoften is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs