mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   What is it about the crownpoint barrels ... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/9545-what-about-crownpoint-barrels.html)

Bored383 01-17-2007 04:31 PM

What is it about the crownpoint barrels ...

What is it about the crownpoint barrels that makes them chime the way they do? You clunk one against something, or thunk it with a finger pretty good, and they are loud.

and does anyone know what alloy they are made of?

I kind of want to put together the loudest barrel / loudener setup I can for my mags. I am considering getting the end of the barrel lopped off . . . or making a shroud for it so that no noise can escape through the partially obscured crown

yes, louder is better

:D

froggy 01-17-2007 04:39 PM

I think the noise has to do with the ball making the ring on the end of the barrel vibrate. We used to put an o-ring on the end to stop the vibration/sound.

Bored383 01-17-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy (Post 84388)
I think the noise has to do with the ball making the ring on the end of the barrel vibrate. We used to put an o-ring on the end to stop the vibration/sound.

hmmm . . . then making a shroud for behind the loudener would probably be best.

Robertsr 01-18-2007 08:35 AM

get the loudener far enough back that the ring is inside the loudener bell. It may sound like the bells calling you to church on Sunday morning...

Phantom Power 01-18-2007 11:21 AM

According to the calculations on Deep Blue the frequency of the Karmann vortices that are shed by a paintball in flight (at 300fps) is around 940Hz. I'm willing to bet that that frequency is a harmonic of the fundemental frequency of the ring at the end of the barrel. If you try adjusting your velocity 20 or 30 fps up or down from where it's at (not for actual play, just for experimental purposes) the frequency of the ball should change and you probably won't hear as loud a ping.

JaKaL 01-19-2007 12:03 AM

Actually, I've heard mag pings, and I work in the music industry. I know what 940hz sounds like and that's probably right about the same frequency they ring at. The fundamental. It sounds hard to believe but when you put it that way I think it may be right...

B 01-19-2007 08:35 PM

The ring on crown pint barrels is there for safety the original first run barrels did not have it and rang with a higher frequency. The ring is from the large cut outs and the great material that the barrels were made of. IIRC the alloy was a 7k series heat treated prior to anno.

victor13 01-20-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored383 (Post 84378)
I kind of want to put together the loudest barrel / loudener setup I can for my mags.
:D

Well that's great, remind me not to share a bunker with you. :P

sdawg 01-21-2007 12:16 AM

Hey, I just finished the automag training video, and at the end tom kaye shows off the new AGD crownpoint barrel....

so, how did that whole crownpoint design, gently transitioning the paintball into the air mass, work out after all?

outreach 01-21-2007 05:03 PM

what possesed you to try and damage your hearing on purpose?