mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #191 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Need help regarding a mill if any of you who know a thing or two don't mind. I am looking at picking up this Gorton. It is a stepper pulley motor (4 different locations, so 8 speeds). Has DRO and I got to see it cut (it cut steel just fine). Comes with what you see in the picture (I am sorry it is so lousy) along with some endmills to use. It is a Gorton Master Mill I-22 I believe, with power feed in the x. First, he has it set up so the collet is placed into a holder, and then tightened down. All the ones I see are screwed directly into the head and drawn up with a bar. I think he has around 20 collets to go with, so if this is an uncommon type I should be set. When I go back to check it again, I will be inspecting the ways, seeing how much play is in the travel, etc. Anything else I should look for? I am sure he would show me it cutting again if I asked. What do you all think? Any idea on value?

Last edited by laxpro69; 03-29-2013 at 12:05 AM.
laxpro69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #192 (permalink)
Master Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
definitely bring a test indicator and mag base to check run out in the spindle. i have seen some beat up machines run out by a few thou.

also its nice to check that all the travel locks snug up pretty easy. shows your gibs arent over worn.

FEEDBACK
Rednecksniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #193 (permalink)
I Think

I would estimate its value is between 1-4k depending on its working condition, how far you have to transport it, and how much tooling you can get with it. Is it a good deal? Compared to a RongFu or it's new price I would say so. Compared to bigoldscool's (big red) free Bridgeport probably not. The collets looks to have possibly an ER type collet holder with an R8 shank. If theres a set of 20 it's probably the R8 collets they use the drawbar to be tightened where the ER type use a cap to hold the collet in.

Last edited by arjames; 03-29-2013 at 12:19 PM.
arjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #194 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Here is the picture right side up

He used some thing to put the collets in and tightened it down with a wrench. I usually see the draw bar thats why I was curious as to what he was using. Almost like a chuck for collets. I will be checking the run off (have a mag base and indicator), what should I use to test it off of in terms of what is in the collet/spindle? He cut steel with it and it cut just fine. DRO works on it, power feed worked well. I will check the play in the table, along with the coolant to see if that works/is useable. It also has the 6 inch rise block on it.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #195 (permalink)
Master Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
you can check the side of the spindle, but the taper on the spindle would be better. also try giving the spindle some wiggle to see if it has bearing play. both retracted and extended. looks like a great mill man!

FEEDBACK
Rednecksniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #196 (permalink)
Aggalicious

He will take 1500 and include 25 or so end mills. If all goes well next weekend d she may be headed home
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #197 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

That looks like a fairly good deal as long as it's not too beat up internally. And that does indeed appear to be an ER collet holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #198 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

good deal for that machine. What you're seeing far as collets is swapping them in a collet holder... which can be removed from the machine spindle via the screw in draw-bar. You should find out what spindle taper it has, good to know. from the size I'd guess it's something like a CAT/NMTB 30 (similar to mine), CAT 40 is better but more desirable so price is a bit higher. if you want to use a boring head, keyless drill chuck, face mill, or larger diameter weldon holder you're going to have to know what the taper is since you can't put those sorts of things into collets

reference dimensions here:

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html

scroll down to CAT (or NMTB), number 30, major diameter of the taper is 1.25" inches. so if you take the holder out of that machine and check the widest part of the inside spindle taper, or even just check it while it's in the spindle via visual comparison with a ruler, you should be able to tell. 1.25" for CAT 30, 1.75" for CAT 40.

(PS: the draw-bar collet thing you were referring to earlier is what's called R8 collet spindle, Bridgeport style, a very common American manual mill configuration. R8 is good for lots of things but CAT taper is vastly superior for larger tooling and all around flexibility. CAT 40 is also very popular for CNC machines which is why a CAT 40 manual machine is frequently pricier.)

Last edited by ApoC_101; 04-02-2013 at 11:39 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #199 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
This might be a dumb question but are you guys trained machinists?
I studied 6 months post-secondary at BCIT for machining... it gave me a great start and I learned everything else in the industry after that. machining is never-ending learning... even if you learn everything to do with the core elements of machining, every other manufacturing/mechanical/electrical trade is related and you can just keep on learning more every day (long as you don't tire of it or get stuck somewhere you don't get any more experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidcustom View Post
They were the new ones they brought to make 2 nuclear sub prop shafts
2ft dia and 80 feet long. 9 months work 24/7 at a cost of 2 million pounds each. If the dockyard made them not an outside contractor the navy would save 4 million pounds and the was back in the 80's.
They were to be made from drop forged stainless steel and they were not very round to start off, They thing was to get under that hard skin in the first cut or you could say goodbye to any tool life so they used a very high temperature gas torch to heat the metal in front of the tool to red hot then start turning. It was like fireworks all night long as they would only do this on the night shift less chance of anyone getting burnt.
The old 80 footer used to cut a 0.005 taper every foot so the operator who had been operating the lathe for 20 yrs used to sit on the cross slide and adjust as it went along and he would cut the bearing surface which was about 3 feet long parallel to 0.0002"
Lucky... guy gets to sit on the cross-slide all day... my feet kill me at the end of the day from being on them constantly. That sounds like a vacation to me

Crazy job though
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #200 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Has about .015 backlash (doable IMO with the DRO). And collets with the adapter running between 1/8-1". Just itching to get her home...

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB