mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #371 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpro69 View Post
Gotta figure out how to get her home...
Victor 1640 Lathe s N562301 | eBay
So you won it?

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #372 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Yes . Couldn't resist... Especially at that price. Haven't seen a decent 14x40 lathe around here for under 2.5k recently.
AbeShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #373 (permalink)

steadian That tree cnc is 16'000 lbs no joke to move and a bad spindle can cost thousands easy. I saw a Haas vf0 1993 with a rebuilt transformer that needed to be installed for 3k on Craigslist. Of course there was no reply when i emailed but I would think you could find a bit better of a deal than that tree cnc.

Last edited by arjames; 08-07-2013 at 02:31 AM.
arjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #374 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjames View Post
steadian That tree cnc is 16'000 lbs no joke to move and a bad spindle can cost thousands easy. I saw a Haas vf0 1993 with a rebuilt transformer that needed to be installed for 3k on Craigslist. Of course there was no reply when i emailed but I would think you could find a bit better of a deal than that tree cnc.
Yah I was starting to look into it more and I don't think its the machine for me, for hauling I know some people that could do it easy but even just fixing it like you said would be costly, also read these don't have a very good control system and something about how they use dos over gcode?

Plus I would like to buy a lathe first
Old 08-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #375 (permalink)

no g-code that sounds weird. The brother drill and tap machines even use g-code. I saw this dyna myte 2900 on LA craigslist today for 3k has a tool changer on it cool little machine also sold already. I to only have experience with haas but it sounds like you want the same machine as me. From my searching experence The kitamura mills have some awesome specs. The matsuura machines seem really solid with lots of info and parts available and usb upgradeable. I knew a guy who ran fadal he said it worked great but Imo his parts didn't look the best. There is also a benchman xt witch is a small cnc with ATC hard to find though. good luck!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #376 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

So it looks like my potentiometer is (going) bad on my lathe's speed control box. The motor is a Dayton 2M139A ( http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAY...otorOpen-2M139 ) and that is not the original motor. The internet says the original motor control had a 50k pot. I think that's what's in it now, but electronics are not a strong suit of mine and wanted to bounce it off you guys.

Current pot:

What I think, is that the underlined 137 is the manufacturer, which is a company called CTS. The 4 digit might be the date Jan 8th, 1984? Other examples are yy/mm, but 18 wouldn't make sense for a month. The 106-050 seems like series 106, 50k, but who knows.

EDIT: The date code is yy/ww, so week 18 of 1984. Interesting, the box certainly doesn't look that old.

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #377 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
So it looks like my potentiometer is (going) bad on my lathe's speed control box. The motor is a Dayton 2M139A ( DAYTON Universal AC/DC Mtr, 1/5hp, 10, 000rpm, 115V - Universal AC-DC Motors - 2M139|2M139 - Grainger Industrial Supply ) and that is not the original motor. The internet says the original motor control had a 50k pot. I think that's what's in it now, but electronics are not a strong suit of mine and wanted to bounce it off you guys.

Current pot:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psf858d512.jpg

What I think, is that the underlined 137 is the manufacturer, which is a company called CTS. The 4 digit might be the date Jan 8th, 1984? Other examples are yy/mm, but 18 wouldn't make sense for a month. The 106-050 seems like series 106, 50k, but who knows.

EDIT: The date code is yy/ww, so week 18 of 1984. Interesting, the box certainly doesn't look that old.
My Google fu has been subpar lately, but if that motor is designed to be ran at 115v, just measure the amperage going into the potentiometer and divide the voltage by the amperage and you're good. If I'm way off, correct me, just some high school kid who happens to live in Vail.
uniwersel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #378 (permalink)
12 Gram Miser

Brass N Wood Fan
Just any old 50k single gang pot of the same physical size should be fine. They're all pretty much the same and only a few dollars anyway. Don't know if it's a linear or logarithmic, try the linear first (either will work but one will change speed at a weird rate).

I would be very surprised if the pot was connected directly to the motor coils.

Last edited by neftaly; 08-14-2013 at 05:02 PM.
neftaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #379 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Grainger says it pulls 2.9A, so 115/2.9 gets me 39.7. That's in the ballpark of 50, but not 50k. Read up a lot last night and have more to do tonight since I actually want to understand this more and found some good resources.

Vail, AZ or another state?

Neftaly: it's not connected directly, but I don't understand the circuitry in the box. Why 50k and what is the wattage rating have to do with things? The 50k at Radio Shack and other places are all rated at .5W. This motor runs at ~350 watts...

Quote:
Feedback

Last edited by desertT1; 08-14-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #380 (permalink)
12 Gram Miser

Brass N Wood Fan
That means 50k Ohms resistance, not amperage. So basically it will go from 50k ohms to 0 ohms as you turn the knob up (the leftmost pin goes in one direction, the rightmost pin in the other direction). Whether it goes in a straight line or a curve depends on if it's a lin or log pot. The controller will read that and adjust the motor output accordingly. Wattage is basically irrelevant, as the controller board is what will be taking the current load (and the reason you have a controller board is mostly that no potentiometer would be able to handle that current, etc etc).

50k is a bit of a red herring, it's pretty much an arbitrary resistance the controller board manufacturer picked. If you just walk into Radio Shack or whatever you guys have and ask for a "50k single gang linear potentiometer" and pick the correct size you should be fine.

Last edited by neftaly; 08-14-2013 at 05:32 PM.
neftaly is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB